ADD / ADHD Community
Adult A.D.H.D. sufferers, stuck with limited info?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Finally after 34 yrs of trying to get a diognosis. I finally got diagnosed :0) after being on a dug trail for Atomoxetine, (last year, at age 45 yrs) by an A.D.H.D. specalist team in Northampton England. Aparently many medical teams around the world dont belive a.d.h.d goes into adulthood, belive me it does! I have it extreamly badly, and after a disastor with Rittaline im now on Strattera (atomoxetine, which is not yet licenced in u.k.) is there any other adults out there that have been, like me, misdiagnosed for years because . ..  when I was a child a.d.h.d hadent been recognised. Then when I was older it was only recognised in kids, and not in adults?
    I have been posting to this site for the last 4 years, and have seen posts like yours - especially by women!   It certainly does happen.
    Speaking of information.  Two sites aimed at the adult ADD sufferer that you might want to check out are totallyadd.com and http://jeffsaddmind.com/for-first-time-visitors.  I think that you will find lots of very useful information.  Best wishes.
I can relate. I'm 28 and I've had more jobs than my age and have been put on medications for depression and even biopolar disorder, when being A.D.D. was the real problem. I only figured out that I was A.D.D. because my friend gave me an adderall (adderrall) because I was super exhausted and she said it would wake me up (I don't usually take other peoples medication). The adderall (adderrall) had the complete opposite affect and I was amazed how calm I felt. Since age 17 I was put on anti-depressants and they made me feel even worse and were almost impossible to get off of. I went to countless doctors regarding my A.D.D. symptoms and not even one of them discovered what the real problem was. I've been on adderall (adderrall) for 2 months now and it's made a huge difference in my life. I'm sure I've had it since I was a child but my Mom and I had no clue really what A.D.D. was.

Im sure many people can relate, I know I can. Thank you for sharing and I wish you all the luck on your A.D.D. treatments.
49 and just diagnosed also diagnosed in the past w depressio bi polar etc   Mental health professionals are out of sync one hand doesn't even know the other hand exist neverind where it is I am utterly disappointed that in this advanced scientific community we are all only able to self diagnose there is no help for us unless we help ourselves with education that the professionals apparently don't have it's a sad state of affairs