ADD / ADHD Community
Any reasrch on: The effects of SSRI medications on children with high c...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Any reasrch on: The effects of SSRI medications on children with high caffeine intake

Have any of you done research on the affects of early administered Ritalin and another Hyper activity/attention disorder medications in children under the age of 13. And the long term effects of children with a highly caffeinated diets? My question is.. Ritalin is at its core an SSRI. So with already high serotonin levels in the body and brain with a high enough caffeine intake boosting already high serotonin in the body. Could this cause permenant brain damage to the child making them even more dissabled by the un-natruall high levels in there body making them addicted to not only caffeine but also other SSRI/serotonin replicators to achieve what non medicated children get natrualy? High serotonin levels in children before puberty from what iv found in medical papers suggests that the few study s to look into this discovered children with high levels are more at risk for developing psychopathic traits latter in development. Just wondering if a full study has been done or the theory has even been proposed. Im not a professional so some one would probably discredit me on such questions as my knowledge is no where on a doctorate level.
Im excited about the possible response to this!
  I believe that only antidepressants effect the serotonin level.  The stimulant meds do not.
I don't think that you will find a study that looks at high caffeine levels in a child because the only way to do that is to caffeineate them which would be unethical.  If a child is loaded up on caffeine, I could understand why there would be problems.
  so i am not really sure where you are going with this question?  I can tell you that high caffeine levels in a child is not good.