ADD / ADHD Community
CAN THIS BE ADD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

CAN THIS BE ADD

As long as I can remember, i have never been good in school, and my attention span for learning was always very limited, maybe this is a good reason I did not perform well in the classroom. Im 31 yrs old now, going back to finish school, but concerned that my focus my be limiting me because of ADD. Can anyone suggest what I can do such as take over the counter medication or some type of herbal medication that will increase my classroom performance. Thanks for the help .  
Gingko biloba is an herb used for retaining short-term memory that has been proven successful in both Europe and here. Because it makes you more alert it has the side effect of sharpening focus as a bonus. I participated in a two-year trial with gingko and this is the effect it had on me. There are no harmful side effects. It is over-the-counter and inexpensive.

Please note that I have never heard of this being recommended for ADHD and there are no trials that I know of. The medications they normally dish out have serious drawbacks and most can result in addiction. Gingko biloba is harmless and worth a try.
   I have never found an over the counter med that helped with ADHD.  Have asked for years on this site to let me know if anybody ever found anything and no one ever responded.  
    You may find some helpful information on this site which is aimed at adult ADDers.       http://jeffsaddmind.com/for-first-time-visitors
Do you know anyone (besides myself) who has long-term experience with gingko biloba? What do they say?
   I think I read information on it in Consumers Report.  I'll look up the article and get back to you.
    Note:  if you are on a blood thinner you should not be taking it.
See if this link works - lots of info here -   http://consumerreports.adam.com/content.aspx?productId=107&pid=33&gid=000247
   While this (the above) is a fairly positive report.   The Harvard Men's Health Watch April 2012 said that Ginkgo bilbo is not recommended for "any purpose" as it has failed careful trials.  
    And another article in Consumers Union on Memory Boosters said, " Fruits, vegetables, and fatty fish might help preserve mental agility by protecting blood vessels and promoting regeneration of nerve cells. Make half of your plate fruits and vegetables, Department of Agriculture guidelines suggest. A Harvard study linked leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower with slowing cognitive decline. Avoid saturated and trans fats, which might hasten brain aging. Moderate amounts of caffeine can improve your short-term learning and recall ability and temporarily improve your focus. But skip supplements of ginkgo biloba or ginseng. There's no good evidence to recommend either."
Thanks for getting back to me. I will follow up. One of your sources ("The Harvard Men's Health Watch April 2012 said that Ginkgo bilbo is not recommended for 'any purpose' as it has failed careful trials") is dead wrong. Gingko does not work for Alzheimers, but it is effective for other causes of short-term memory loss. Gingko is one of the most studied herbs and the results of competent trials are uniformly positive, excepting for Alzheimers.
    Ya, I agree.  I think they were only looking at specific big studies an mainly Alzheimer's
I just wanted to add that when you are dtaking natural supplements, that you need to do your homework and find the ones of good quality.  Of course they will always be more expesinve. Cheaper can be more fillers and ingrediemts that don't need to be there.  Make sure they also don't inculde any dyes.  Hopefullly, some day modern medicine and holestic medicine will work together.  I have seen some improovement with that, but not enough.
Thank you both for all the information that you posted about Ginkgo.
By the by, trials can be rigged and often are. I should know. I worked with them. (No, no, no. Not as a "designer." I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I were.)