ADD / ADHD Community
Can a 5 year old take adderal or do they have to be 6

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

My 4 year old has started taking ritalin. I am wondering if that does not seem to work will he be able to take anything else. What else do you think my options will be as far as medication. We have tried therapy and I am a recovering addict. There is no question that he has this as a result of my behavior in the past and during pregnancy. The Doctor is aware of everything because I am clean and have been for 3 years I have nothing to hide.  I am just trying to further educate myself seek help elsewhere so I know what I am walking into. :(
I am sorry im going to offend you. Pleas dont be too mad.  Why in the world would you want to medicate a 5,6,7,8,9 etc... year old?  What has gone on? They are kids.. If its for learning try a different teaching style.  I cant imagine a thing that a 5 year old needs to pay attention enough to that requires SPEED!... Im adhd (adult) I was never medicated while young. I had a different learning style.  Some learn by doing some by listening.  I have never know a 2-12 year old that wasn't a goof ball and off the wall.  My kids are nuts.. Im saying bonkers.. It's like 3 bobo the clowns on acid all the time.  The difference is how I deal with it. I would like them to calm down, but in reality if I couldnt deal with a kid acting like a kid I shoulda got a stuffed animal. Cheers on the recovery,  Im 6mth off of drinking.. Relax you are all fine.. Kids are bonkers! And parents dont like bonkers. We are just too old.  Go bonkers with them..  Ya might have fun..  How good would if feel at a bad time to scream, run, yell, jump, kick, and ignore all.  Ya remember addiction?  Yup our own little out of control. We just needed to get it in control, and drugs didnt do to good for that right.  Sorry, if I sounded like an A##. Be a kid.. You can do it....
At his age your child should not be taking anything. At his age she should not be diagnosed with ADD. You have been the drug route. Don' t do this to your child.
Again, cure the sleep problem and not by taking drugs. You don't even need to tell me your kid has a sleep problem. Look up sleep deprivation and see what mental illness it causes. Its not adhd. There is no child that requires less sleep. Only children who need more sleep. Ask him if he's having bad dreams. If he is get him ready for bed at night by giving him a warm bath use and the baby soap from johnson and johnson called sleepy time or add lavender to his bath. It calms and relaxes. Fix him chamomile tea. Oregano is a strong seditive put it on his food at night. Feed him only meat and dairy for a week or two. It will take all of his energy away.
My 5yr old was just diagnosed with ADHD and the doctor is going to start him on alow dose of adderall (adderrall). I understand that u have decited to get child help because we did. He has gotten so bad that he cant focuse at school or at home to do his homework. We went to parent teacher conference last night and she said that this med might help him concentrate because hes not doing to well. Im so scared for him and want whats best thats why we have decited to try meds. Good luck