ADD / ADHD Community
Can adult ADD get worse?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Can adult ADD get worse?

Is it possible for adult ADD to get worse over time? I have been taking medication on a daily basis for the past few years but have just recently noticed that its no longer as effective.
  • add (1 replies):
    My fiance thinks i have either add or adhd but i have no...[more]
  • ADD (1 replies):
    i have a question.. I am sorry if I maybe repeating it, ...[more]
  • Taking my 17-yr-old off ADD meds (4 replies):
    My son is soon to be 17 years old. He has been on 54mg o...[more]
  • adult ADD (5 replies):
    How far into adulthood can a person find out if they hav...[more]
  • Adult adhd (44 replies):
    So my doctor said to me the other day that ADHD/ADD is o...[more]
I do know that mine has progressively gotten worse as the years have gone by, the last 20 for sure.  I just started medication this past week though.  Maybe it's like pain medication that you have to keep taking more as your body gets used to it?  I hope not.  Have a you tried a different medication?  

I wish we had a separate community for just Adult ADD although we do start out as children I think we deal with different issues and problems?
You know what, that's a great idea! I think you should bring that up to the MH suggestion forum. I think having a separate forum for adults is a good idea!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I too, was diagnosed with ADD as a child, only they called it something different in the 70's. They called it Minimal Brain Dysfunction. It wasn't till I was an adult and saw my old medical records and saw that and it all made sense. I've never tried medication. I've never seen anyone for it. All I know is it bugs me. I think I get more easily distracted and forgetful as I've gotten older. I can't seem to get organized, either! I hate it.
I'm personally trying natural methods and am always open to trying something new. I've been taking Omega 3's fish oil because I heard that's good for the brain. I also take other vitamins.
It's nice to meet others out there with this. :)
I almost started crying when I saw this discussion; the years I've tried to manage my Adult ADD without medication have taken such a toll that I recently decided to try once again to seek professional help.  I was diagnosed after extensive testing/consultations with both a psychiatrist and psychologist...but absolutely NO medical doctor has ever told me they believe in the diagnosis - one told me bums in the street are ADD, not intelligent, well-groomed women.

One psychiatrist all but called me a dope addict without even listening to my symptoms or looking at my test results.  He was so rude that I reported him to the major hospital he was associated with and they sent me an apology - but he didn't.  I take NO prescription medication, I am a hardworking 62-year old woman with no criminal history whatsoever - but medical doctors act like I am trying to get amphetimines the minute I say "Adult ADD".

I live in what I would describe as a small city and there are few psychiatrists here to choose from.  The one who diagnosed my ADD closed his private practice a couple of years after I became a patient and went to work at a VA hospital.

I would dearly love to share ideas and experiences with other ADD patients.  I "manage" to portray myself as what I consider a "normal" person but few know what my private life is really like - Sari Solden's "Women with ADD" could literally be the story of my life.  

For the two years I took Adderal, I was happier, calmer, wonderfully more organized and could stay on task - now my personal life, in all honesty, is pitifully frustrating.  I can deal with it but I know it could be much better and maybe reading what others have experienced will give me the courage to try again to find a good psychiatrist.

gymdandee commented on New Scientific Analys...
12 mins ago
breezytoo commented on New Scientific Analys...
veronica0808 commented on photo