ADD / ADHD Community
Concerned about son who is 2yr and 7months old.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

I'm Ann and have a son who is 2yrs and 7months old as of now. He's goes to a playschool. The concern I have is he doesn't speak or comprehend completely and/ or clearly. He does say a few words(might or might not be clear) however doesn't speak as much as other kids his age do. He also understands a few commands not all. His principal at playschool complained about him pushing other kids and running around in the class and not sitting at one place. Even at home I have problems having him sit at one place for more than 2secs. He's very restless and always upto something. To let you know my sister-in-law's son also spoke after 3yrs. Hence my family tells me not to get worried but I still am. I give him homemade food as much as possible and avoidcanned food.
Any response is greatly appreciated as I'm very worried,

Thanks.
Ann
Hi, As he is only 2 and a half I wouldn't be too worried. The behavior side of things he is only 2. Has he been attending playschool for very long? If not I wouldn't worry. Most children are always up to something. We try to make sure we have a busy box. I have quick activities in this box like stickers playdough and I set her up and  get on with the other things I need to do knowing she is quite happy sitting there with her dough etc. They need lots of stimulation at this age. Hope this helps take care

Thank you very much for responding. I know I might be over reacting however it was lingering on for a while. He hasn't spent much time in playschool yet. Its been around 2 months. I guess I'll get some creative activities lined up for him so he's occupied and utilizes his energy creatively.

Thanks again.
Regards.
Ann
My son was the same way! He's now 5 and a half and can sit still in a movie theater now but last year no way.I thought he would never be able to settle down. he is still hyper but I make sure to have him doing OUTSIDE activities as much as possible.Parks,playgrounds,walking through the woods on trails,swimming,etc. seems to help him out
(1) He is in an early developmental stage. Give him time.
(2) It can be completely normal not to speak until age three. (Einstein was older.)
(3) Is your son of normal intelligence?

Only the last should concern you, if, in fact, it is of concern.