ADD / ADHD Community
Concerta VS. Focalin?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Concerta VS. Focalin?

Has your child ever been on one or both of these meds? What did you notice? How did your child respond to these meds compared to Ritalin?

My son is being switched from Ritalin to one of these meds and im just wondering what parents have noticed. PLEASE NO NEGITIVE COMMENTS. Thank you :)
I am sure that Sandman will have some input to give you.  The main difference I've read about extended release focalin verses extended release concerta is that focalin works faster (within 30 minutes of taking it) and is better for a child that needs the help prior to leaving for school and that type of thing.  So, it is reported that it begins working fast in the morning and continues to control symptoms during the day and then tapers off at hours 10 to 12.  Concerta may have a slightly better effect in those last two hours but less of an effect early on in the day after taking it.  Both have a pretty similar side effect profile and you are familiar with these from your child's current medication.  goodluck
   Specialmoms comments are correct.  I do get the feeling that since Concerta is a slightly newer drug (and longer lasting) that getting the dosage correct is a bit more trouble.  Good article on this here - http://www.addadhdblog.com/concerta-getting-the-right-dose/#b6e48
   Just keep in mind that all kids are different and react differently, so one person's experiences may not be the same as the next.  
   Please feel free to post if you have any more questions.