ADD / ADHD Community
Concerta....results?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Concerta....results?

Does Concerta really work? My son has been on it for ADD and ODD since the summer. Since school started he has been unable to focus and has had problems following directions/instructins in class. He doesn't listen to the teachers and argues alot. I'm at my wits end and dont' know what to do at this point. I'm just trying to keep him from getting put out of school.
My child was on concerta for years while it was great in helping his ADHD it also can cause other mental health issues and was bad for his weight causing him to lose weight at a very rapid pace. I am not sure how much info u have looked up about it but I am fearing the worse case senario for my son as he has some serious behaviors from taking the concerta and Daytrana. Just a lil heads up watch these meds carefully.
My 7 year old son has ADHD, ODD, social anxiety and emotional issues and he has been on every med under the sun it feels like, but anyway he is on Focalin and in Dec of 07 he was diagnosed with Autism but he is very high functioning. Our doctors told us that you can't medicate ODD but the side effects of most of the ADHD meds do increase anxiety and aggression and also depression. Every kid is different and every med is formulated different even though they have some of the same ingredients. I would talk to your Dr. about what is going on with your son. My son is doing fairly well on Focalin. Hope everything works out for you and your son.
We had tried Adderrall, Concerta and Focalin for my daughter (7 at the time) and it seemed to make her violent.  Once we switched to a non-stimulant (Strattera) it's helped a lot. We see a psychopharmacolgist who specializes in medicating children with ADHD.  She had said it takes some time to tell whether a medication is working, that it would probably take trying a few different meds to see which one is best, and that it gets worse before it gets better. If you feel a medication isn't working as well for your child, see about trying something else.  I also highly recommend going to a specialist rather than a general practitioner for medication management; it makes so much of a difference. Good luck.