ADD / ADHD Community
Deplin and Adult ADD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Deplin and Adult ADD

I recently heard about deplin for ADD.  Recently my doctor prescribed dexidrine for my  ADD.  I never had it filled.  He suggested that dexidrine can be abused and addicting.   I am a recovering addict, so I have to be sensitive to meds.  Has anyone had experience with dexidrine?  Has anyone tried the new medication Deplin for add/
Tags: adult ADD
  • Why (4 replies):
    I am a child who is prescribed add medication that is ca...[more]
        Deplin is a folic acid supplement.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to try it.  Tend to have my doubts, but I have read where it has made some anti-depressant meds more effective.
Many of the stimulants used for medicating ADD can be addicting because they are stimulants.  However, someone with ADD or ADHD usually does not become addicted because they don't get the "rush" from the meds.  Some of the stimulants are formulated to make abuse even more unlikely.  If you were addicted to "speed" in the past - you have cause for concern.  If it was alcohol, or something else it may not be a problem.  One of the better adult add sites out there is totallyadd.com.  I checked out the forums to see if there were any answers to your question, and didn't find much.  But there is a lot of good info. Hopefully, some poster here can help.   I think that you will have to trust your doctor to carefully monitor you.  Hope this helps.
Thank you.  Do you have any personal experience with these meds.
     No I don't, its just what I have read on this forum over the last 4 years and a lot of research.  Personal experience is really important, but everybody reacts differently to these meds to some extent.  That's why having a good doctor/patient relationship is really important.