ADD / ADHD Community
Do I have ADD??!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Do I have ADD??!

Hi. I am 14 years old. For as long as I can remember I have always had to do something with my hands. Weather it's just playing with my hair tie or playing with my fingers. I am always doing something with my hands and sometimes I don't even notice it. Sometimes I just sit on my hands because I don't want to keep playing with stuff even though my hands want to. Is this ADD? And is there anything that I can do or should do to stop it? Or should I just leave it alone?
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
5914096_tn?1399922587
Here's the criteria for ADHD:  http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/diagnosis.html.  The criteria is centered on behaviors related to attentiveness.  It doesn't sound as if the behavior you describe meets that criteria.  What you describe sounds more like an obsessive / compulsive disorder.  However, the only way to truly find out what might be going on is to be evaluated by your doctor.
Blank
      Good link from Mark, and I agree - you would need many more symptoms for it to be ADHD.
       You didn't mention any other problems, but I have seen people with Sensory Processing Disorder having some of the same problems.  But, here again, it should be more then just hands.  Here is a good link for SPD.
       http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/sensory-processing-disorder-checklist.html
      You might try getting a small soft ball that you can squish when you feel the need.  I have a good buddy which has a worry stone.   A very small stone with kind of an indentation for his thumb - which he rubs.  Point being is that there are some things that you can do which are kind of unnoticeable
that will help.   If you want to stop it, you might keep a log and see if there are things that seem to trigger this.  And then learn how to deal with those things.
    Hope this helps!
Blank
8976007_tn?1400955760
seems to be more of a habit than a medical problem.  it is a STIM behavior.  meaning self soothing behavior.  it can be helped through cognitive behavior therapy.  you could ask your mom if you could see a therapist if you want to, but really it is just a habit that soothes you
Blank
Okay thanks guys helps a lot!!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Recent Activity
1253584_tn?1332881554
Blank
ang_811 I'm just gonna go ahead n l... Comment
11 mins ago
1236893_tn?1408490528