ADD / ADHD Community
Does this sound like a type of add or adhd?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

My son is 7 years old. He is 3 days into the second grade. I Have already had 2 notes sent home from his teacher and a phone conference. His Teacher has said that He cries all day that he don't like school he wants to go home, He shows signs of depression, defiance, attention and motivation issues. She said  his handwriting is on a kindergarten level, and he gets very emotional when he is instructed to do anything written. She said that it's almost like he is not processing what to do when asked even if she just calls his name. She don't see hyper activity. At home James has said things like He wants to die or go to heaven. He hates school and he is going to fail and 2nd grade is too hard. I have seen him hit his sisters for no reason. When asked to do something he responds with I don't know how, I can't do it, I need help or what do you want me to do?. He has started to yell at us (mom & dad) lately or even tell me that I am a bad mom/dad or tell us he hates us when he don't get his way. We have tried punishing him to his room, taking away special items, standing in the corner and as a last result a spanking. Nothing works! Nothing works! Help!
Hi. I had three children out of seven who were diagnosed with ADD.  Several of my grandchildren also have the disorder, one with obvious ADHD.  I must say that very few of your son's symptoms sound like ADHD or ADD to me.  They sound more serious in nature.  If I were in your shoes, I would seek professional medical and psychiatric attention, immediately.  
It sounds more like a variant of autism than ADD/ADHD. You need to get professional help for your son ASAP
   Ok, he is 3 days into 2nd grade.  What went on last year?  That really is all that matters now.  Somehow, I don't think it was the same thing going on.  Also a kid that has not done any handwritting all summer (especially a boy) is not gonna be very good at it.  Makes me wonder how long this teacher has been teaching?    This is unusual behavior by both the teacher and your son ( but then again I was only an elementary school principal for 4 years, so maybe things have changed).
   Frankly, if he had a good year last year - I would have his first grade teacher talk to his new teacher.  
   Next, your forms of changing his behavior are not working for you.  Get the book, "SOS Help for Parents," by Lynn Clark and follow it.  It will help.
   Its hard to tell from your limited description what is going on.  Part does sound like it might be ADD (but that should have showed up last year).  Part certainly sounds like a child who would rather be home and not in school (not unusual).
    Really need more info.  Is he the youngest in you family?  What was last year like?  Does he have friends?  How long has his current teacher been teaching and what do other parents say about her?
I want to thank you all for posting a response. My son and I had seen the psychiatric doctor today. We are undergoing therapy and they are doing all sorts of testing on him. I have spoke to his teachers and they all committed to helping him.  I have a feeling that this is going to be a long road. And I am in it for the long haul. Thank you again.
Thumbs up!!!  Best wishes for a better future!
so glad you are getting help. Please hang in there and keep us posted!
      Keeping a good communication open with his teachers is extremely important.  If he does wind up being diagnosed with AD/HD, I think it will be well worth your time (and very little money), to get the book, "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley.   You will find it extremely helpful over the next bunch of years.  Best wishes.