ADD / ADHD Expert Forum
Finally admitting I have a problem

Questions in the Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD–ADHD) forum are answered by medical experts and professionals.

Finally admitting I have a problem

Lately I have been thinking a lot about my difficulty to concentrate.  It's something that has been a huge obstacle in my life for as long as i can remember, and at 26 years old I'm getting tired of coping with it.  

My ability to concentrate is a failing task.  I feel like i know what needs to be done, but I cant bring myself to do it.  My "To Do" list is ever-expanding because it takes too much concentration to complete many of the tasks, causing the dreaded procrastination to set in.  My filing cabinet is a mess, and not being able to find anything when i need it is frustrating.  It's difficult to even collect my thoughts before making a phone call.  This disorganization has plagued my life.  I can't sit through class without daydreaming, which incidentally is the only thing interesting enough to keep me awake.  I am very ambitious to finish school and aspire to become a successful entrepreneur; however, i don't have the follow-through to do either.  It's a rare occasion for me to get my thoughts onto paper which is probably why this memo is long overdue.  I will forget someone's name moments after shaking their hand, and be too busy thinking about what was just said instead of concentrating on the conversation at present.  

On top of becoming a social issue, i am also unbelievably forgetful.  I will pick something up and completely forget where i left it just moments before, its amazing that i haven't lost my wallet, keys, or phone yet this week.  My friends know me as forgetful, its embarrassing and terribly frustrating.  I also have a tendency to fall asleep in class religiously, even during a short lecture.  And while watching tutorials online my eyes begin to close minutes into it.  I absolutely love reading a good book, but after realizing that i have been subconsciously scanning for a half-dozen pages i have to go back to find where my mind left off.

Any recommendations would be a great help, thanks!
  first off I can not diagnose anyone on the basis of a post, but it does sound like you owe it to your self to figure out what is getting in your way. When thinking about adult ADHD, keep in mind that it has to be a condition that has been with you since childhood (if the symptoms have come on suddenly, then it is not likely to be ADHD), and a general rule of thumb is that adults with ADHD have symptoms significant enough to interfere with their being able to achieve in accordance to their intellectual potential.  Your situation is frustrating and confusing I am sure, but the symptoms you describe may not be ADHD.

You can learn for sure by first visiting your primary care physician to rule-out medical problems. Conditions such as an under functioning thyroid, blood sugar regulation problems or sleep apnea can mimic symptoms of ADHD. After ruling out the physical, then its time to visit a psychologist for an evaluation. The psychologist can test your intellectual functioning and assess how well you sustain attention, encode information and ignore distractions to determie if indeed you do have ADHD.

People can feel stuck in maladaptive behavior patterns for many reasons. Sometimes there are emotional factors that are making it difficult to succeed (depression, anxiety, feelings of inadequacy, or unresolved anger). Some people experience problems due to learned behaviors that they developed during childhood, often to cope with problems in their family or origin (such as children of alcoholics, or people who had harshly critical parents for example). Psychotherapy can help you in any case. A psychologist can teach you to manage symptoms of ADHD as well as help you work through any psychological factors that are impacting your quality of life.

Best Wishes
Rebecca Resnik
Disclaimer: This Medhelp post is written for informational purposes only. It is never intended to replace face-to-face psychological or medical care. This Medhelp post is not intended to crate a clinician-patient relationship, nor to give or rule-out a diagnosis.
i have the same exact problem and im 15