ADD / ADHD Community
Help I think I have ADD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Help I think I have ADD

Im 18, and have struggled with concentration, motivation, time management and several other things for as long as I can remember. I've recently started university and these problems have got far worse, I've got no routine, no one checking up on me and I've stopped attending my lectures because Ive already got ridickolously far behind. Obviously with freshers and everything a lot of people have also not been doing any work, but the problem is I've been like this for as long as I can remember. Ages ago someone suggested I get tested for ADD but because I've never really had any trouble with school my GP immediately dismissed it without even listening and my parnts think im  just lazy. This is only because I am naturally ittellegent and am able to revise a whole years work the night before an exam. I test very well which I heard is common with ADD sufferers, my problem is the coursework and actually doing the lessons. I also tend to hyper focus on film and tv. Please help me, do you think its worth me trying to get help??  My coping mechanisms aren't good enough anymore theres too much to deal with
I have the same problem, I'm a medical student too, and that's why nobody believes I might have ADD! Mom think I'm just lazy and so irresponsible!
   This is very classic ADD symptoms for someone who is intelligent.  Wish I had a buck or two for every time I have read a similar post on this site over the last 6 or so years.
   It is definitely worth your time to find out what is going on.  If you know what is going on then it is possible to deal with it.  Either through better coping strategies or medication if it is necessary.
   I am not surprised that your GP was not very helpful.  That's pretty standard, unfortunately.   The people at your college should be much more in tune with this, and thus more helpful.  I honestly am not sure if you should get in touch first with your school counselor or the medical staff.  But, I would think that the counselor would be the one that could give you advice on the proper way to go.  Of course, if you have someone back home besides your GP - that's fine too.  
    I will add that you have also probably gotten into a study habit based on prior success (and perhaps ADD consequences) that got you through high school.  You probably need to re-plan how you do study.   And when you do start that final binge.  Keep the TV off!  Take frequent breaks.  Exercise in between the breaks.  And, you might want to start attending those lectures and taping them.  
      Also, if you are really dying in class - Do visit your school counselor and see if you can drop a class if you see no hope.  
    Here is a pretty good site for the symptoms of ADD.  http://www.help4adhd.org/en/about/what/WWK8
    If you have any questions, please post.  Best wishes
It is not uncommon for people who are very intelligent to develop poor study habits. In the early years they get by on their wits and a good memory. But this doesn't serve them as well in college. Does this sound right for you?