ADD / ADHD Community
Help! My 5 year old daughter might have adhd

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Hi, My daughter is half way through kindergarten, and hates it. She is falling behind in her school work, having more and more problems understanding it. For example the class is writing 1 through 50 already, she can not even write 1-30. Work with her at home with flash cards etc. At school she constantly get's in trouble for talking, and trying to go play when she doesn't finish her homework, and not listining. She is very defiante when it comes to her school work, and impulsivly "yells" at me. I then ask her why she is mean to her mommy, and then tells me she is sorry. Her biological father has been diagnosed with Bi-polarism and Phitsophrenia (skitsophrenia-I am not sure how to spell this) But, just want my daughter to be able to succeed and not be so discouraged, it has dramatically changed her mood, and she hates school. Kindergarteners shouldn't hate school! Can a child her age, have adhd, or even the two disorders her biological father has, and what can I do to make school better for her, other than what I am already doing?
   Please try and understand what your daughter is going through.  If you were being judged and compared every minute of your school day - and always failing, then you would hate school too.
   As a retired elementary school teacher and principal, I have seen that happen a lot.

By now, you should have had some parent conferences with the teacher and she should have expressed some concerns about your child to you.  If she has not - you are dealing with a very inexperienced teacher, or perhaps in a private school setting which cannot provide help, or the teacher has so many kids in class they are overloaded.

How do you make school better for her.  You are going to need to get her tested and then hopefully put into special education.  In special education there are special plans drawn up (IEPs), that literally force the teachers to help her.  It is typically difficult to get kids tested in kindergarten.  If the teacher is experience she can help you.  If you are in a private school, you will probably have to do it all your self.  If you have a  inexperienced teacher, you will need to talk to the principal.  
  What you can do for your child is to try and make her feel better about her situation.  Reinforce the positive.  Don't worry or bring up test or quiz scores.  Do keep helping her with flash cards, but don't beat it into the ground.  Make it short sessions of no more then maybe 3 to 5 min, then move to something else.
  Definitely let her teacher know that she is having some problems, is beginning to hate school, that the teacher needs to perhaps back off or try and do a few positive things for her.  Many times (even this late in the school year) the teacher has not quite gotten the pulse of each kid.  So be kind to the teacher, ask for her help and guidance.
  Finally,  Yes - a child of this age can definitely have ADHD.  It just doesn't always become real obvious until they can be compared to the other kids in the class. ADHD is an inherited trait.  Unfortunately, the other traits her dad had are  too.  These things can all be dealt with - however, they cannot be ignored.  Good luck