ADD / ADHD Community
Help me be organized please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Help me be organized please

ADHD seems to run in our family. My 4 boys have all been diagnosed with ADHD and although I have not been officially diagnosed, I know I am ADHD as well.  I think my biggest problem with daily life and discipline is that I am so disorganized. I can't remember what I need to get done during the day.  I constantly tell my boys what they need to do but then they forget AND I forget too!  So basically nothing ever gets done in my household.  When it comes to consistency I am horrible so discipline is non existent.  Does anyone have a good system that can help me with these issues?  Remember - it has to be a simple system because I am struggling with ADHD too.
I'm not ADHD, but my mental illness affects my memory quite a bit.  We struggle to remember things in our house too (both my husband and my daughter have ADHD.)  I have a few tricks to help us out:
We have a wall calendar in our kitchen.  We write down every event we need to remember on it - from doctor's appointments to when library books are due to birthdays to homework due dates.  With so many people, you may need a couple of calendars - or perhaps one for each of you.
I also painted a chalkboard on our kitchen wall where people can leave more urgent issues or lists - pending grocery lists, reminders of things we're to do for others, sometimes even just thing that need to get accomplished that day or week (especially helpful during a busier time - everyone can then know what to expect.)
Chore charts are a help to keep kids (and parents) on track with day to day activities - you can even add "brush your teeth" or "wash hands before dinner" if you're having trouble with those kinds of things.  And give the kids an afternoon to make it themselves (or with your help) - they can feel a sense of accomplishment just by handling this project.  Encourage them to add things throughout the first week or two to be sure all possible chores have been added.
And I have a spiral notebook that I keep all of my ideas/ponderings/potential plans/etc. in.  That way if I have an idea, I don't have to worry about recalling it later - it's all there!  You can even make a chart of discipline - that way both you and your kids know what to expect when something goes wrong.

Basically, the more that you write down (or type), the less will get lost in the cloudy chaos called a "brain".  Seeing as you have 4 ADHD boys (I have NO IDEA how you can handle that), I suppose if none of that works, you can have "Who Wants to Play in the Garage Day" and forget them there until you have things better organized. :)
  Good ideas by myenzoorka!  A big wall calendar is essential.  If you don't want to paint a chalkboard (which I think is also a great idea), you can buy small white boards which are easy to hang.  I would buy a bunch and have them in each kids room, but the main one being in the kitchen.
  According to the book, "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley, (you might want to buy it - its got a ton of helpful stuff) structure is super important with ADHD kids.  It makes it kinda tough when you also have it.  But she gives a lot of helpful ideas and lists that you can use right away.  While the book might help you some (really gives a good idea of what ADHD is and does to you), it will really help you work with your kids.  And in the long run it will help everybody in the family!  Good Luck
I have not been diagnosed but the more times I read the pamphlets at the Dr's office the more I think I may be ADD.  My son is ADHD and takes a lot of his emotional cues from me.  If I'm overwhelmed he feeds off it. I am not the greatest home maker but a couple of books have helped me in the organization dept."Sidetacked Home Executive" and "Thinking Organized for Parents and Children: Helping Kids Get Organized for Home, School and Play".  I also use a website called Cozi to put the family Calendar on & have it text me (and my husband) reminders on my cell phone.  Everything from Doctors appt to my housecleaning schedule to what's for dinner.  I also used the chalk board paint on the kids bedroom doors and use it for reminders and notes to the kids.