ADD / ADHD Community
How to Approach the School About Section 504

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Hello Again!

So I have been reading the book "ADD & ADHD Answer Book" and I am wondering if I should approach the school about having my 7 year old assessed under Section 504 or would it be better to sit down with the new teacher this year, the principal, etc and work out some accommodations and modifications without him being assessed.

My Aunt, who works with children that have disabilities told me she thinks my son would not qualify for Section 504 because of his intelligence level. However, last year we struggled with reading and homework so much. The teacher from last year met with us and took our modification suggestions to start and did do them.

Mind you, the school is great. They were very helpful when Zane for first diagnosed and the teachers have been great. We have a behavioral specialist at the school that keeps us on the up and up about activities she thinks would help him. However, there is not written "This is what we should do every year" kind of plan.

Thanks!
   Ashely does a wonderful job explaining the 504's and her list of Accommodations and Modifications at the back of the book are excellent.
  I agree with your Aunt, if your son is intelligent, he (at this grade level) may not appear to need a 504.  However, about 4 th. grade and certainly when Algebra raises its nasty little head, it may be necessary.
  The whole reason for a 504 is to make sure that the teacher has  Accommodations and Modifications in place to help your child.  If the teacher is willing to do this, then there is no need for a 504 (with one exception).  It sounds like you have a great school situation going on.  As long as the principal keeps putting your son in classes with a teacher who is will to accommodate him, there is probably no need in the immediate future to have a 504.   For the new year, you definitely want to sit down with the new teacher and go over modifications.    Give her a few weeks to get used to the kids and to talk to last years teacher.  Chances are she will be miles ahead of you.
    What, I think that you do want to do though is to prepare for middle school.  You want the 504 to happen in elementary school - where they know your child.  So, I definitely would schedule a visit with the principal to figure out the best time for this to be done.   And, I certainly would be talking with the teachers and parents about the choices for teachers for the following years and make your wishes known to the principal sometime in late April or early May.   And, if a particular grade level does not appear to be to sensitive to kids with ADHD, then you certainly need to start the 504 process before then.
   Hope this helps!
Yes it does, thank you again!!!