ADD / ADHD Community
How to get off Vyvanse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

How to get off Vyvanse

My son has been on vyvanse for 4 months now, he is having horrible side effects, to the point where you can't reason with him.  We need to get him off this terrible drug before it kills him.  You can't just stop taking it because, so how do we get him off this drug?
  You talk to his doctor.  His doctor needs to know what is going on and what the side effects are.  In fact, the doctor should probably see him so that the doctor can actually see what is going on.  You need the doctors advice on getting off the drug so that it is done correctly.  Good luck.
Because this is an addictive drug, the dosage has to be reduced very, very slowly. If you have no medical knowledge about how to do this, get a schedule from your doctor. Do not be talked into keeping him on it. You are the mother and you know it is harming him.
You have to wean yourself off Vyvanse?  Ive been on adderall (adderrall) in high doses for months at a time and quit it a few times cold turkey and my doctor didn't say anything about needing to ween, withdrawal was just basically sleeping for 3 days straight which can actually be pleasant if you don't have anything to do. I didn't go crazy without it or have cravings for it. It sounds to me like her son is having psychotic reactions to it and would be best to stop immediately. I'm no doctor tho.  It would probably be best to contact the doctor who prescribed it asap
Oh wow! I was not aware of Vyvanse being addictive. But I'm not trying to dispute that fact because it is technically an amphetamine. But if that isn't the reason, I don't see what the problem with just going off of it cold turkey. Hell I'll take it for two or three weeks and then forget to take it a day or two. Must be the ADD I swear! As once was said "If you can remember everyday to take your ADD medication then you don't have ADD". Which is true, I forget my alarm to take my Vyvanse goes off sometimes!
Yes, talk to the doctor about it.  He/She needs to know the bad side effects of it.  What kind of side effects is it causing??
This **** should be off the market. AND the shrinks should stop being legal drug pushers. I have been in a relationship for 9 years....he faked being ADHD???to get vyvanse from her. How the hell to you do that? And be on Ambian and restoril and Xanax???????  How unethical is that? I went with him to his shrinks office and she took him off the ambian and "dosed" him down on vyvanse...this was last June 2011. He was unwilling to end it entirely by late Nov. I ended it.
These shrinks should have their licenses yanked!  I was put thru hell for 3 yrs. not knowing about the vyvanse. He is a cocaine abuser which was hidden from me. and substituted the cocaine addiction for Vyvanse addiction.

Shame on these so called professionals for giving this **** to a 47 yr old man with no history of ADHD but knows they have a history of cocaine abuse!
Well, Vickat, let me ask you, did he use cocaine while he was on Vyvanse?
You claim he had "no History of ADD"...How do you know?  Just because it wasn't ever diagnosed (or maybe he just didn't tell you about it) does not mean he did not have the affliction and BTW, cocaine abuse is very commonly seen in cases of un-treated ADHD.  Did you know that?

I might also add that benzo's (like Xanax) are very commonly prescribed in conjunction w/Amphetamines.

Sounds to me like he's better off without an ignorant and controlling woman like you.

What kind of side effects is he having? My son is about to be put on vyvanse on his 6th birthday which is in May. Insurance will not cover until he is 6
     Its a stimulant med, so the side effects should essentially be the same.  Its main advantage is the length of time that it stays in the system, plus the capsule can be opened and sprinkled on foods.  
   This link will give you all the information that you ever will probably need on V - http://adhd-treatment-options.blogspot.com/2008/12/evaluation-of-vyvanse-for-adhd.html
My son was put on this and we had to just take him off he had really bad side effects! He was an emotional wreck he cried non stop everyday for no reason he got very angry and mean at the end of the day he never ate anything we had to make him his stomach always hurt and he always had a headache it was a terrible month! He was on the lowest dose, we did switch his med and its so much better!!