ADD / ADHD Community
I believe my nephew may have ADHD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

I believe my nephew may have ADHD

I truly believe that my nephew who is 7 may have ADHD. He is very immature for his age. He rocks himself when he's sitting in a chair, sofa, car. He can't focus for long periods of time. He is always in trouble for not paying attention. He does naughty things and when you ask him why he did it he says "I don't know". He lies about crazy things...things that he wouldn't even get in trouble for. He can't sit still he's always kicking his legs, moving his arms, bobbing his head. He does alright in school but is always in touble because he is disruptive. He is annoying to most of the kids.He is destructive...likes to take pencils and poke holes in the upholstrey. Does things without thinking or caring what the outcome maybe. Lays in the floor at the department store with his legs in the air like he's riding a bike. You ask him what he's doing or why he's doing it he doesn't know. I've told my sister that I think he's ADHD but she became very upset and said he didn't. She thinks he's a normal 7 year old boy. I've been around other 7 year old boys and I have never seen this kind of behavior before. My sister refuses to get him checked out and says that if he is ADHD he has to learn how to deal with it. Without medication. She doesn't want him medicated and she says she doesn't want to give him an excuse for bad behavior. Anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate the input.
Is he in public school and if so have the teachers mentioned the possibility of ADHD?  They usually know.  At the end of the day, she is the mother and has a right to do what she wants with her son.  You might offer non-medication solutions such as: fish oil, no sugar diet, color and chemical free diet (Feingold diet), vitamins, lots of sleep and exercise.
Yes, he does go to a public school. My mom (who is a retired RN) meet his teacher last fall and the teacher mentioned to my mom that he was a handful. My mom agreed and she then mentioned to this first year teacher if she thought that he may have ADHD. The teacher responded that she hadn't thought about that but she said he does show the signs of it. I don't know if anything was mentioned then to my sister or brother-in-law about it. I will suggest the diet you mentioned. I doubt they will try it because they see nothing wrong with his behavior. I'm just worried that this little boy will "fall through the cracks" of society. He's annoying/wierd to the good kids and the "bad" kids (trouble makers) use him for their own amusement. I just feel that unless some intervention is done soon he will be in trouble later in life. I do appreciate your input and suggestions. Thank you so much. God Bless