ADD / ADHD Community
I never have and never will fit in

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

I never have and never will fit in

I'm 15 and have ADHD and I feel like I don't fit in with anyone my age.
I've had a rough life, and my ADHD really isn't helping me feel, well normal.
I seem to act younger than everyone else, and crave attention like a child. I don't understand things in class aswell as others and it makes me feel so left out and no one understands. I just want to act like a normal teenager, and seen to be a young adult. Also I'm find it hard to understand if someone is being nice or nasty, and I don't understand sarcasm or jokes alot... Is this normal and can it be helped? Please help!
  • Child behavior (10 replies):
    My son is 11yrs old and has ADHD but I believe is more t...[more]
  • Which is it ADD/ADHD (1 replies):
    My son has ADD or ADHD. I have seen it both ways in his ...[more]
  • adhd (1 replies):
    would adhd sever case would ever be cured .
  • Adult ADHD (2 replies):
    I have been doing alot of research on ADHD lately as I t...[more]
  • adult ADD (5 replies):
    How far into adulthood can a person find out if they hav...[more]
   Hey Katie, a lot of this is normal (unfortunately) for someone with ADHD.  In the book,  "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley, she says that girls are more accurate and honest in their self-perceptions.  They report more problems with self-esteem, depression, family relationships, and peer rejections than boys.  Girls self-awareness may be the reason they have three times more depression than AD/HD boys (p.11)
   The trouble with understanding sarcasm or jokes is that you have to pay attention to the person talking - and thats a huge problem for somebody with ADHD.  And, of course, thats why you also have trouble understanding things in class.  What bothers me is that someone should have explained all of this to you.  Do you have a 504 or an IEP so that teachers understand what your problem is and don't have unreal expectations or so that they will give some of the extra help that is needed?  If you don't know what a 504 or an IEP is - ya, you have been left out of the loop.  The book I mentioned above explains all of this and is only $10 on Amazon and less for a used one.  Have your parents buy it and all of you should read it.
    I am guessing that your acting younger than others and craving attention is a coping mechanism bought on by having to deal with ADHD.  
    Your question that is most important is can it be helped?  Yes it can.  You start by understanding what ADHD is and how to deal with it and go from there.
     I do highly recommend that if you have not been tested by the school district and given either a 504 or an IEP, that should be a first priority.
     Besides the book I mentioned, I can also give you a bunch of relevant web sites for most questions you might have - if I can't answer them.
     Dang - just read your profile and noticed you are in England.  complicates things for me cause I'm not real familiar with that system - so all the 504 stuff may not work.  However, I do think that the book is a good starting place.  Do you know if you have ADD or ADHD?  I can recommend different sites based on that?  Hope some of this helps.  Tons of people can deal with this - if they have gotten the help they need.  Best wishes.
I go to the hospital for my ADHD and I take Concerta for it. But to be honest know one has really explained everything in a way that I understand. Thank you, you've really helped:)
    Your post doesn't surprise me.  Its maddening because information is the most important part of helping someone with ADHD.
                   Two sites aimed at the adult ADD sufferer that you might want to check out are totallyadd.com and http://jeffsaddmind.com/for-first-time-visitors.
               Both sites are done by people with ADD.  totallyadd was actually a PBS special and consequently is a series of short videos.  Quite entertaining and useful.   Jeffs add mind really reflects him.  Has much more adult interaction.  Both are worth checking out and I think that they will help!