ADD / ADHD Community
Long Term Adderall(adderrall) Use

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Long Term Adderall(adderrall) Use

My boyfriend has been taking Adderall (adderrall) since he was about 8.  I'm not sure exactly how much he takes in a day, it varies.  But for the past year he has been taking XR in the mornings to get him up and then regular Adderall (adderrall) through out the day.  
We are both concerned about his long term use (will he ever be able to lower his dose like he hopes to one day?) and what it means in terms of his heart (he has high blood pressure), weight (possibly due to his body adapting to Adderall (adderrall) it is hard for him to lose weight, which he and I would like very much to happen), his mood (taking only XR makes him grumpy/irritable/not so great to be around; his current use of XR and regular Adderall (adderrall) can make him moody towards the end of the night; he has tried other medications but those have not given him the results that regular Adderall (adderrall) has).
Tags: adderall
   Well, ADHD is for life, but adderall (adderrall) doesn't have to be.  It really depends of how you learn to compensate for the ADHD.  If he still is in school, then its a lot harder to get off of because of the study and test needs.  Then its a question of his job demands, etc. later on.  Its certainly doable, but it takes research and understanding.
   Weight loss is not easy, no matter what you are on (or not on).  It takes diet modification and exercise to work.  With a busy lifestyle those things are difficult, but doable.  Once again research!  I would start by getting out and walking for 30 min at the end of the day.  It may also help his mood.
   And Sami, if you haven't already done so - read up on ADHD so you understand what he is dealing with.  Hope this helps.
krichar commented on Des_a_rae's status
hansen20 commented on hansen20's status
hansen20 added the Menstrual Cycle Tracker