ADD / ADHD Community
Long term use of Adderall(adderrall)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Long term use of Adderall(adderrall)

I've been taking regular adderall (adderrall) (non xr) for 10t years for ADHD. The medicine does help with the ADHD but I'm concerned with the long term effects. I know Adderall (adderrall) can cause weight loss /decrease appetite as a side effect. With the exception of the past couple of years I was able to keep my wieight down partly due to the drug. However the past 2 years or so I seem to be gaining wieight. I'm wondering if it's possible that due to long term use the drug does the reverse and slows metabolism down/cause weight gain. I don't know how this is possible but wondering if it is the cause. Any input would be appreciated.
Have you felt it has helped you as this is the main thing ,most of these drugs have side effects if it has worked for you ,perhaps you are one of the lucky ones, pur Adderal into your search engine and add weight gain,
It does help with the ADHD. I also suffer from depression and being overweight just adds to it. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try
How old are you? Your natural metabolism slows down quite abit just due to age and this begins already in your late 20's & early 30's. If it's not a huge amount of weight you have gained it may just be that.

Have you changed anything in your life since you noticed this weight gain in terms of changes to diet, less exercise?

One last thing to consider is co-morbidities. Is it just the weight gain that you have noticed or do you have any other (sometimes vague) symptoms? Thyroid problems sometimes creep up on you slowly and can cause weight gain, it did for me despite being on fairly high doses of dexedrine.
Thanks for the reply. I am in my mid 30's and have always heard that around 30 metabolism slows down. I've didn't have any problems with the weight gain until the past couple of years. It only seems to get worse.

I have changed anything in my diet except eating a bit better. I don't exercise as much as I should and this hasn't change either. When the adderall (adderrall) is in my system I can't eat and when it wears off I try to eat somethings sensible. I can't help but wonder after taking Adderall (adderrall) for many years that it somehow does the reverse on weight.

I'm not aware of any thyroid problems. I'm actually taking a low dose of thryroid medication to help with my depression.
krichar uploaded pics of the comple... Comment
22 mins ago
hansen20 commented on photo
58 mins ago
Weight Loss Drinks
3 hrs ago by gymdandee