ADD / ADHD Community
Medication for 4 year old with ADHD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Medication for 4 year old with ADHD

My 4 year old is on Adderall (adderrall) and it seemed to help some in the beginning but now it seems to be wearing off too soon and it is a chore to get him to swallow the pill. We've tried crushing it and mixing it with something to eat or drink and nothing works. He will chew it up and drink something behind it but it is a fight to get him to do this. I have a 10 year old on Daytrana and it works wonders since he stopped swallowing pills 2 years ago (he was diagnosed at age 3 and the medication makes a huge difference in him). I would love to try my 4 Daytrana but it is only approved for 6-12 year olds. Is there anything else I can try?
I do not want to offend you, but in other parts of the world people see things differently.

No body wants to see a little child like this on medication.  Isnt it very young?
Here in Europe I doubt very much if a child so young would receive this treatment.  Your other child was diagnosed at age 3?  We have all kinds of therapies here, Occupational Therapy.  Children like this are asigned a 'team' of specialists who work with them.

Be careful of the 'pro medication' propoganda.  You have got to realise that giving them a pill is much more cost effective?

I know you are living there and accept what the Doctors say, but have you really thought about it?  Behaviour can go in phases.

The only thing that really works is behaviour modification, have you thought of going to an expert who could train you.
I am sure you are doing the best, but I learnt techniques that helped me deal very well with my son.  He is nearly 18, not on drugs as I was warned he would be by an American psychiatrist.  She said if I didnt medicate him he would be a delinquent.

progress is slow with behaviour modification, and you need to check if you are making progress every few months.

I teach and I find what works well/best with children is if you accept them.  Isnt that what any of us want acceptance.  It could have a very bad effect on the sub concious of a child, that there parent medicated them.

I would recomment trying everything else before the medication in a child so young.

Maybe none of this is what you want to hear, but there may be a reason why no one is answering this thread about finding stronger medication for a little child.
I work with children like this  every day and from my experience as a parent of children with ADHD I have to say I went to therapist. I talk to counselors. I did everything they told me to do. Nothing work. My daughter was so sweet and loving when she was a baby. when she turned 3 and a half something chnged. she became mean and violent. She was destructive. Her sweet I love you mommy became I hate you. Your not my mommy. She couldn't couldn't focus or sit still for short or long periods of time. She threw stuff. She was always angry. So sometimes medication is neccessary. It was my last resort.