ADD / ADHD Community
Medication for ADHD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Medication for ADHD

My 14 year old had moderate learning difficulties, dyspraxia and was given a diagnosis of ADHD a few years ago. He attends mainstream school.

He coped fairly well in primary school as there was not much expectation on him to achieve but since starting secondary school he has fallen significantly behind. The consultant has decided to put him on medication and we have been given a perscription for 18mg Concerta.

I have always been against medicating him but have agreed to an 8 week trial to see if it improves his concerntration and wondered if anyone else has tried this medication.

Any input would be appreciated.
...bump
Surely someone has used conceta before?

I would like to know if it worked/didnt work?

Any unpleasant side effects?

.........anyone?
My son is 6 and has ADHD as well.  He is not old enough or weigh enough yet to take Concentra.  He takes Focalin XR right now.  But my doctor has recommended this as soon as he gains more weight and I believe he can take this when he turns 8.  I have heard good things about Concentra from other people that I know.  Their kids are 8 and 11.  

I didn't want to consider medicating my child either.  But as my son became worse, I felt I had to give it a try, but for his sake as well as the rest of my family.  Things are much better for him now and medication helps alot.  It is very noticable now if he doesn't have the meds.  Before he had no control over any of his actions.  Now he can see right and wrong.  He has had a great success in a year's time with medication.    

Let me know if you are going to try the Concentra.  I wish you and your son the best of luck I know it's a tough decision.
Thank you for your reply... I am still confused! I know he is doing really badly without him and some days I feel so much desperation that I don't know which way to turn so I guess for the sanity of the rest of the family I should try it!!! Good luck to you, I would love to hear how you get on :)
It is a tough decision.  My husband and I thought very carefully and did some research before we totally committed to medication.  The one thing that helped with my decision was the fact that my son's dr's child has ADHD.  She discussed in great detail with me about her own experiences with her own child and how now her child is grown and the progress in life that she has made.  

Please feel free to ask me any questions or experiences.  I would be happy to share.  The best of luck with your decision.
Thank you again, I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

I have decided to try the medication as we will be re-assessed in 8 weeks and I guess I can decide to stop it if its not working for him.

I will look you up if I get anymore nagging doubts!!!

I still can't believe that in a whole forum full of ADHD sufferers of carers of ADHD suffferers no-one else can be bothered to reply or share their experiences!! How to make a new member to the forum feel welcome eh!?
Yes, please do.  

And sometimes, it's best not to get a reply.  I have actually had people tell me what a horrible person I am for medicating my child.  But, then again, I have had many that support and understand my situation.  

Best of luck in your 8 week trial.  Let me know how it works out for you.