Method
I have this problem concentrating. When someone talks to me, all surrounding sounds distract me and I have to stare at something to focus on what they're saying. But what I've been doing is listening to my iPod. It feels as if it's creating some kind of wall and then I can just pick out what I want to hear. The volume is never more than 3/8 and most of the time is less than 1/4. My family worries that my hearing will be damaged or that I will lose my hearing earlier than even the usual for my family members. Can I continue with this method? If not, what other methods can I use to achieve the same results? (By the way, I refuse to take any kind of medication or training, so don't suggest them)
It does not sound like add to me but more auditory sensory problems.  They have information on that on the web but you would have to be open to read it.  You don't sound too open.  Yes, it will damage your hearing to continue to increase the volume on your ipod.  Good luck.