ADD / ADHD Community
My 6 year old Son diagnosed with ADHD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

My 6 year old Son diagnosed with ADHD

I also have ADHD and am on adderal. Can anyone give your experience with medicating a young child? Is one medication better? How do you recognize bad side effects from meds and what to look for? Do the meds change the child's personality?
We also are using trial and error to find the best system to keep him focused with his daily tasks and homework.

I do have many questions, but would like to start out small.

Thanks a bunch, Tara
If I may ask, who diagnosed him?  Was it a psychologist?  When my son was diagnosed with ADHD and dysgraphia by the psychologist, the last page of the report gave a list of recommendations such as possibly trying medication and also accommodations that he would need to succeed in school.  Do you have such a list?

And just so you know, I tried many different meds on my son and Adderall (adderrall) was the one that worked the best.  It continues to work and he is now 15.  He was around 9 when he was diagnosed.    
I had made an appointment with a behavioral specialist. It took 6 months to see her. We gathered all of my sons tests and resources his school provided to access him. Myself and the school filled out a Connors questioner and the Vanderbilt scales. The specialist determined he was ADHD. She also does not prescribe meds.

My sons primary care is involved with medications. My appointment is tomorrow, so I wanted to be informed  

Hi there.  It is always hard to take these steps with our bundles of joy but knowing that the purpose is to help them makes it better.

My son does not have add/adhd but its look a like cousin, sensory integration disorder.  These two disorders are VERY similar as both involve the nervous system.  They can look so much alike that they are often misdiagnosed for one another.  And the main source of treatment for them is a bit different.  With add/adhd----  medication can work well but it has no affect for a sensory kid.  Kids with sensory integration disorder usually see an occupational therapist that specializes in that area and they work on the nervous system to regulate the child as well as coping skills.

Through  my research I've noticed that kids with add/adhd can benefit from strategies related to the sensory system on top of medication.  I'm just posting here because I'm the mom of an 8 year old boy and I know what it like to want to do all you can to help them be successful.

One of he main things we do for sensory is something called "heavy work".  It is basically physical activity and muscle work.  It calms my son so that he functions well.  Things that are 'heavy work' are such things as jumping on a trampoline (we have a big one in the yard and one of those mini ones in the house for bad weather days/all winter), climbing a play structure or rock wall (we base activities and hobbies on getting this heavy work in), swimming (the perfect nervous system exercise with the combination of heavy muscle work and deep pressure/ famous adhd person-------  Michael Phelps!), kicking a soccer ball, running on hard floor or pavement, punching a punching bag, doing funny animal walks especially the crab walk, bear walk and leap frog, push ups, etc.  Before my sits for homework, he does something physical.  It slows his nervosu system so he can concentrate.  

Anyway, I think the best approach to an out of the box kid encompasses many different elements and I just thought I'd mention one that might help your boy as well.  good luck
Hi my son was diagnosed at 6 with adhd.(his dad has it also)  we tried natural things first vitamins, fish oil, zinc, magnesium and although it did help some it just wasn't enough.  We finally got meds.  He is on 10 mg of focalin xr 1 x daily.  It did not alter his personality at all.  He was just calmer and able to focus and was not all over the place. Good luck to u.
    There is so much to say.  
As I am sure you know by now - meds are only part of the answer.  Get the book - "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley.   It will give you tons of very helpful info
   Hopefully, your primary is experienced with ADHD and takes the time to  talk to you.  Doctors typically start out on a very low dose and wait for patient feed back.  Don't be afraid to keep in constant communication with them!
   Besides the book I mentioned - this site has lots of good info about working with an ADHD child - http://www.rxlist.com/tips_for_parenting_a_child_with_adhd/page3.htm#rewards
     No one med is better per se.  They just work in different ways and each child responds differently - but adderall (adderrall) is the typical starting point.  I can give you a site that gets very specific about the different meds if you wish.
I would think that his personality should change for the better - thats the common comment.
   The doctor should definitely go over side effects with you - thats their job.  But its easy to see a very detailed list on line.
   Both the book I recommended and the web site have lots of good ideas for staying on task and homework.
   Hope this helps.  Please post if you have any more questions after your visit - or any time.
hi--when my son first started taking Adderall (adderrall)--he was very emotional. He started to slow down and think about all the things that bothered him. This was a little overwelming. For example--we let my daughter do many things that we don't let him do. Like set the table--help with dishes..etc. He never noticed those things or when he did notice he didn't take the time to think it through or follow through and confront us about it.  WELL--on the stimulant he was able to organize his thoughts and vocalize everything  that bothered him at the same time. LOL it was a little scary from a 6 year old to hear all of his thoughts and feelings but after a month or so..he doesn't have all those bottled up emotions and tenseness. So now I would not say that his personality changed except that he has more "follow through". He is now able to vocalize his thoughts and his thoughts are not racing 100mph so he makes sense when he confronts us and we are able to give him what he needs from us--normally more independence which is great.