ADD / ADHD Community
My 8 year old son took Concerta for 14 months

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

My son was never diagnosed by any one of having ADHD but his Dr. prescribed Adderall (adderrall) XR after getting results to a paper questioneer that was filled out by his teachers and he had taken a battery of tests at his school that seemed to determine if he needed to placed in special classes -- which they did prove he needed, however the school never tested our son for ADHD nor did his Dr.. The Adderall (adderrall) worked but he lost too much weight, he was then placed on Focalin XR -- he became overly aggressive and was then given Concerta. His grades improved and his appetite was okay, atleast he was eatting, not a lot but he was eatting.  Then about in October of 2007 he started to develope these tics, they were not so noticeable, then he had his first seizure at night. I took him to see his dr and they told us to take him to see a neurologist. The first thing I asked the dr. was was it the Concerta, she did not think so and told us to keep him on it. We saw the neurologist and had an EEG schedueled. He asked if his dr. took him off the Concerta, we told him no. He did not seem concerned. His tics worsened. He had a 2nd seizure that night (he had the first one at night as well) He was still on the Concerta. Both me and my husband were very concerned about this, the tics were worsening and he had 2 seizures.

I took him back to his Dr. on December 28, 2007 and they told us to take him off the Concerta and see a  pychitrist  . He was off the Concerta one day and he had his third seizures while he was sleeping like the first two.

My son had an EEG last Monday and the results came back there were some abnormalites. We find out more on Thursday.

We still believe that the Concerta caused his tics and three seizures. There is no history in either family of tics or seizures.

My son was on concerta and had a tic - The left side of the face, his moth and jaw would pull down as well as his eye. I hate the meds. We didn't experience siezures, but the tics were enough.
hi,
we have my 8 year old son,
We have no problem at school.But we think what is this.We go the doctor.After test (eeg,ceeg and others).Doctor said epilepsy and tom much attention problem.We are using epilepsy drıg trileptal and concerta for attention.Our son is now nervious and we affraid if he get seizures.
Until now we never see seizures.
hi,
we have my 8 year old son,
Until now we never see seizures.
I am so thankful to see your pursing this, as I hope more parents will. I also hope your doing research on what these kinds of drugs can potentially do to a growing childs brain. I dont know if the test was totally on the up and up because frankly I think it was sabatoged on purpose by the FDA or DEA but if you google the words "MDMA Amphetamine primate study" there was a shocking study run by the government to prove MDMA caused brain damage and was dangerous in order to place it on the illegal drugs list ... the study results showed shrinkage and brain damage,, and a year later it came out that the primates given the IV drug (large quanties not in small doses like the pills given to kids) were actually 'accidently' given amphetamines instead of MDMA. The damage was already done though.

Jennifer
my son has been on concerta for 7 years.  he has eye tics. it looks like he just blinks  more on the right side more than the left.  They have gotten worse over the past several months. He has a severe case of adhd.  How do you know your son had seizures? My son is 11, so he sleeps in his room alone and I am worried that if he ever had a seizure I would be unaware..... What would your suggestion be???
please e-mail me at ***@****
would like to exchange information about severe and complex motor tics, etc., after stimulant
my daughter is almost 9 and has severe adhd and odd. The doctor that she was going to which was a pshyciatrist, was horrible I  tried different doctors and finnaly found wonderful doctor. My daughter had so many tics that theyt thought it was tourettes,I was sick over that,so she took her off the concerta and the tics are gone. she has been on concerta for about 4 years now. She now takes tenex which is not a stimulant and it works great, she is almost pleasant to be around and that is a big step. Maybe you should go to a pshyciatrist and ask about the tenex., because my daughter was on all the meds you listed which are stimulants that cause tics. I hope I helped alittle. But she is really like a new child and i don't take putting her on med  without researching alot.