My 9 year old step sons drawings
My 9 year old step son has been living with us since November of last year. We are in the middle of  custody battle with his mom. CPS placed him with my husband and myself. Since Novemeber we have been noticing some disturbing things with him. He likes to draw pictures of someone shooting children women getting ran over by trucks,he also has been caught playing with himself already. And there is alot more. Should I be concerned or is this just normal 9 year old stuff. My husband thinks maybe yes then maybe no. I dont know what to think. Iam worried because he has very violent thoughts and has been vocal about his dislike of me.
     Any particular reason why you posted to the ADHD forum and not the child behavior forum.  I am the CL on both, but if you also suspect ADHD - it changes things a bit.
    But on the whole, I don't think its real abnormal.   I am sure he misses his mom.  Custody battles and CS involvement has got to leave scars.  Kids also need a way to express themselves and I think that, at least partially, that is what is going on.   Getting him some help in dealing with what is going on would be a good idea.   You might want to check out a series of books of which "Don't Despair on Thursdays!": The Children's Grief-Management Book (The Emotional Impact Series) would be a good start.  You can read about the books here - http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Despair-Thursdays-Childrens-Grief-Management/dp/0933849605
    Oh, and at his age - ya, playing with himself is pretty normal.
    Do feel free to post over on the child behavior forum here - http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Child-Behavior/show/64
    and see how some of the other posters on the forum feel.  Best wishes.
It is only recently that your husband has been awarded custody. It is natural that the boy  would be hostile to you - you have taken the place of his mother. It is early days. Hopefully, with time, relations will be more amicable between you. For the time being, do not aggressively seek his acceptance. Sit quietly waiting in the background.