ADD / ADHD Community
My son is almost eight and has problems focusing in class

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

My son is almost 8 and is in 2nd grade. His teachers tell us how smart he is compared to the class, however, he has trouble focusing on his work. He's constantly going to the bathroom 4-5 times a day in class and when he returns they have moved onto the next subject, so he falls behind. When he returns he spends 10 minutes "looking for a pencil" She says he's always looking around, being distracted, however he definitely KNOWS the material. I'm wondering if it could be ADD or maybe a small part of autism. He also has some extreme eczema and allergies. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance
Being bored or antsy in class does not make him a candidate for drugging. Lots of children are like this. They outgrow it. Psychologists seem to have established a "norm" for childhood behavior, the "norm" being an attentive and cooperative child who likes school and works hard at it. HoHum.
   Several reasons why a kid may go to the bathroom that many times a day.  Stress or boredom are usually the main candidates.  Allergy meds can also cause problems with urination.  He could be looking around because he is bored or is trying to figure out what the kids are doing/were doing since he left.
   Main question is what was he like last year and the year before.  If this is only a problem this year, then its probably not ADD or autism.
  Opps, almost missed his age.  If he is almost 8 and in second grade, I take it his birthday  is late Oct or Nov.  He could very well be the youngest child in his class.  In California, they just passed a law that says you must be 5 by Sept. to enter Kindergarten.
  Anyway, this could also partially be maturity.  And he is tending to stand out more compared to the other older children. If so, it should get better.