ADD / ADHD Community
My son's doctor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

My son's doctor

My son's doctor put my son on a diet that relates to ADHD, dairy free, gluten free and no chocolate. My son has no formal diagnosis as far as ADHD and has been completely ruled out for Autism. The diet is expensive and I'm having a hard time taking things from my son he loves with no diagnosis and to top that all off there doesn't seem to be any behavioral effects. What sort of science is this special diet based on? I've managed to find studies where people had genuine positive effects from this diet but I've found no research to confirm a why this diet may have an effect. Why would my son have no behavioral effect if he infact has ADHD
If you have food allergies they can contribute to ADHD like symptoms.  Typically, when this is tried, the foods are then slowly started back into the system to see which one is the problem.  I have never seen a study that relates ADHD to diet per se.  Red food dyes and pesticides yes.  Check this article - http://www.medhelp.org/add-adhd/slideshows/9-Worst-Foods-for-ADD---Plus-1-That-Can-Help/20/1
   What kind of a doctor are you seeing?
   And what symptoms is he showing that makes you suspect he has ADHD?
Inability to concentrate for any period of time is one of the main symptoms that has been present. He's been ruled out for Autism by a diagnosis team at a children's pediatric center after a 8 hour full evaluation. He was found to have a regulatory disorder and multipul development delays in gross and fine motor skills as well as verbal communication. My feeling about my son is that he is signifigantly bright, this was backed up by the cognitive piece of his review in which he excelled past his age at the time, I feel like if he could only pay attention for any period of time he would catch up with the things that he's more clumsy with. He is currently seeing a regular pediatritian.
I've recently bought a book about the diet that my son has been put on by his doctor call The Kid-Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook by Pamela J Compart, M.D. and Dana Laake. This book has done little to explain the science of this matter to me and other than offering statistical ancidotes I'm rellatively unimpressed with it's content
   Frankly if your son has been on this diet for awhile and you have seen no results, I would start questioning the doctor a lot!
  You also should start pushing for a diagnosis from some one other then a pediatrician.  I would suggest a pediatric psychiatrist as first choice.  Or maybe that is not necessary based on what else the diagnosis team found.  Point being, if there has been no formal diagnosis for ADHD, what the heck is he on that diet for.  If he has been diagnosed with with ADHD, then you need a lot more information (such as the book - "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley. )  
    I also think you should look into sensory integration (or processing) disorder or SIDS.  A good place to start is here - http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Child-Behavior/could-there-be-a-BIGGER-problem/show/1590406#post_7226976
    Read the post by specialmom at the end.
    I hope some of this helps.  You really do need lots more info from this doctor to explain this diet.  It could be hurting more than helping.