ADD / ADHD Community
Not Sure Where To Turn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Not Sure Where To Turn

I am 40 and I have been having issues with anxiety and depression for a long time. I read an article about how women/girls are affected by ADD differently then males. One thing is that they do well in school until college and there is little structure. They will have higher rates of self injury. My research also showed that most women don't get diagnosed until they are 38 and those who are treated correctly, over 60% find that their symptoms of anxiety and depression go away.

When I look at the list of symptoms, I find that they fit me perfectly. I am hypersensitive to noise. I make careless mistakes when working or writing. (I did this when I was young too.) I am easily distracted. I will start telling a story and lose track of what the point was. I lose and misplace my things all of the time. I talk way too much and interrupt people. I zone out a lot and don't remember past conversations. I am late a lot and I underestimate the amount of time it will take to do something. I have trouble maintaining relationships. I get very frustrated if I have to wait in line.And so on and so on.

My problem is that I am having a hard time finding a doctor to believe me. They say if I was diagnosed as a child then I don't have it now. I had one doctor who I only saw for ten minutes say I had ADD and gave me inutiv which dropped my BP dangerously low.

I just saw a new doctor who wants me to do a neuropysch test. I can't find any hard evidence that it will be helpful and since I haven't hit my deductible on my insurance it will cost me a lot of money.

I am just very frustrated and don't know what to do next. I would appreciate any advice.
   I don't know what it is with Texas and ADHD/ADD, but I swear I get more questions about it from there then any other states - and usually its cause the doctors don't have a clue.  What amazes me is that you are in Dallas and not some small little town.
   Anyway, all of your research is correct.   And whoever said that, "I was diagnosed as a child then I don't have it now.'  has not read anything current in the last 20 years.   All experts agree that ADHD is life long.  It's just how you adapt to it.
   Intuniv did what it was supposed to do.  Slow you down, sedate you.  It is not a drug of choice for ADHD.  And is in fact used to help those with ADHD sleep.  See this site - http://www.leeheymd.com/charts/adhd_1.html
   Skip the neuropysch test (more on that later).  Its unreliable.
   You need to keep looking until you can find the right doc and a few ideas on that coming up.
     You might want to check this out.  Its the European consensus statement on diagnosis and treatment of adult ADHD: The European Network Adult ADHD.  For some reason I have not been able to find the same thing in the US.  But this has a ton of very good information that might be worth printing out and taking with you.  The site is
           http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2942810/
   Finally I found an article in the New York Times Health section that (I think) answers a lot of your questions.  It certainly is worth your time to read it.  The link is  ---   http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/14/health/14consumer.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
     And besides the help sites listed in the article, I always suggest checking out an adult ADD site called - http://jeffsaddmind.com/for-first-time-visitors   .  You will find that you are not alone.
    I think that the NY Times article will be very helpful and the other sites will give you more info for the next time you visit a doctor.  Dallas is big enough that you should be able to find one that can really help you.  Perhaps look for a younger psyc or one near a college campus ?
   Let me know how things go  - best wishes!