ADD / ADHD Community
Obsessive 7 yr old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Obsessive 7 yr old

I have a adopted 7yr old boy which we adopted at the age of 5 seems to obsess over certin things and it goes on for days. Recently he played with a toy at a friends house now thjats all talks about even thogh he has the same toy at home he gets up in the morning and its all he can talk about sometime making up stories about the toy. He is not doing well in school and is in special ed classes he is well behind his peers. He is still wetting the bed and baby talk alot. we had him tested when we first brought him in to our family by the childrens research center in Chicago at age 5 and they said he seems developmentallly fine maybe a little small for his age but still ok.. I feel there is something going on in his little brain but am not sure where to start his teachers say he is doing ok but from what I see he is not.   Any suggestions.....
Hi there.  Well, there is one area that you conflict on in that you say he is not doing well in school but then you say his teachers say he is.  

Bed wetting at 7 is not uncommon as up until age 10, 12 percent of all kids still wet at night due to being heavy sleepers and not getting the signal to wake.  You can work on this for sure but just know that it is not uncommon.  

And I have 8 and 7 year old boys that are a bit like this too where they get something on their mind and it sticks for a while and it is often something a friend they really like is into.  I don't know exactly what you are talking about but my boys can be obsessive as well.  Things like collecting the Skylanders can rule their little minds.  A better question is how did the play date go with his friend?  How are his peer relationships?  

Anyway, bless you for taking in a child and giving him a home and then caring enough about him to make sure all is okay.  Peace
hi..you say he was adopted from the age of 5..and at 5 yrs old children devolope memories and maybe his are somewhat confused...time is probably of utmost importance and patience...you seem to have so much love to give but he needs to adjust to his surroundings also...