ADD / ADHD Community
Over hyper 2 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Over hyper 2 year old

My son is 2 almost 3 and is extremely hyper and can be very badly behaved sometimes.  I noticed that when he finaly sleeps good he also eats and settles down, well listens to me better. I do realize he is 2 and they say the terrible 2's are bad, but I have friends with children his age and they do not act like he does. I am exhausted all the time from him and his 8 year old sister was diagnosed with ADHD 3 years ago, we never medicated her but she soon has gotten better and still cannot sit still but is much better approaching 9 years old now. I want to know if meletonin would be a safe choice or not with him being so young?  My biggest fear is him getting very ill from lack of rest and food intake.  He is so tiny and fights me with every bite of food unless he is well rested.  What can I do? I am calling his doctor to make an appointment tomorrow but it is exhausting trying to deal with him after he does not sleep good at night either. He has had colic and reflux disorder and is being medicated for reflux still now because it has been bad since birth, he never slept very well because of all these history problems but I would have hoped by now it would have gotten better.  
Hm.  He is such a little guy and 2 is well known for terrible.  I think it is too young to start thinking about adhd but you can look at other things.  Does he gag easily or just avoid food?  My son  has sensory integration disorder and he does both.  Textures that are unappealing make him not want to even try lots of things as well the smell of something can turn him off.  I also have to cut things like meat up very tiny so he doesn't gag as he has a little trouble chewing.  How is his speech, by the way?

What I found really help my boy stay calm and maintain behavior was lots of physical activity.  When I provide enough outlets for that energy---------  he sleeps, eats and behaves better.  Actually I can say the same for both of my boys (one has sensory and the other does not).  So, I'd get him to a park or something like that every day for a couple of hours.  When you describe reflux and colic, many sensory kids are like that as infants.  The physical activity is one of the ways that you treat sensory integration disorder----------  it calms the nervous system.  In the evening, what about pushing him in a swing for a while.  This will calm him down as that linear motion is good for the nervous system.  Have him try to blow bubbles (out of the bottle with a wand) --------  those deep breaths also slow down the nervous system.  Deep pressure is great for some kids.  Have him lay down and roll a big ball (we use an exercise ball) over him calling it a steam roller or press pillows on him telling him you are making him into a sandwich.  My boy LOVES that and it calms him.  I have a million other ideas but will stop for now.  If you need more, please do not hesistate to ask.  good luck
Yes, I would not worry about him having ADHD at this point.  He's too young for a diagnosis.  He sounds like a very intense child.  My son is like this and I notice even now, he was more active than other kids and needed more from me when he was younger and still does.  I would talk tot eh doctor about his poor sleep, I don't know about melatonin.

Have you tried to do back rubs that would help calm him down. My son responds very well to deep pressure and it calms his body down and he can go to sleep.  What about baths?  Some kids find the warm water very comforting, but don't do it and expect him to go to bed immediately.  

He might be very picky about foods/
normally it doesn't start intill 5 or so I think u have nothing to worry about. my son who doesn't have it was terrible at that age. my second son who is adhd was an angle and like over night right before he turned 5 he changed and the pdoc said that's what happens adhd doesnt start till round that age good luck have him seen just in case. :) give him vitamins and food that's hi in vitamins so he gets what he needs. I have had all children of mine go through that stage.I have 4 kids. my daughter is three and hardly eats. just to be safe have him checked out though.
I just want to say that you don't usually develop adhd.  It is always there as it is a developmental delay.  But the problem is that all kids can look kind of the same in the early years and it is hard to discern what is going on.  Many outgrow the behavior. Or it could be do to other things that resolve.