ADD / ADHD Community
PLEASE HELP. mystery symptoms having to do with vyvanse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

im a 17 year old male who's been on & off different medications for 3 years before i tried "vyanse" last last year at around this time. I went from 20mg to 30mg then to 50mg & took it till the end of may then stopped because of summer. I again started taking it in August & took it 5 months straight, & actully had increased its dosage to 60mg early December. I ran out on the 21st & stopes taking anymore until January 3rd, the day we came back from Christmas break.
I also wanna point out i starting smoking weed(Yes i know it's not good for you, i quit 4 weeks ago) in mid October occasionally every other weekend. Then in November i had smoked some synthetic weed a little more than a hand full of times, then it got to a point where i was smoking weed every other day if not every day. Then when winter break started, i bought a pipe & had the chance to smoke by myself. I smoked alot during the break & when school started i didnt let up.
I would smoke before school for every other day in January. I did for 2 weeks straight at the end of January. I was making moderate to good grades so i didnt think it was necessary to stop. That's when my first SYMPTOMS arouse.
I would be in 5th period & still kinda feel the high of the weed but not really. That class would give me real bad aneiexty because I was moved to a seat directly across the room someone in there who talked bad about me. So everytime I sat in that class I didn't wanna make any stupid movements or face so I usually just kept my head up with my hands & tried to pay attention. But what got weird was when I'd be listing to the teacher, I'd look around the class but for some reason my eyes would have such jearky movements when i moved them. I remember it got to a point where i was in a trance & couldnt move them or my body for a couple second.
The weirdness in me was showing more & more everyday. My speached was slowing down. I was mixing up words in my sentences. My short term memory was the worst it ever had been. & i was even pausing in the middle of sentences because of forgetting the next word i was gonna say. All of this was really hurting my self-asteem & attitude towards every one else. (lemme let you know that i was going on & of the vyvanse because of how bad the downfall was)
(right before i was diagnosed with my next issue, i was diagnosed with walking pneumonia which was treated for a week with antibiotics & went away)Then in early February everything got worse when people began to say that i "smelled". for 2 weeks people were snickering, telling rumors, & making fun of me right in my face. It got to a point where i couldn't even be in class without only facing the direction towards my desk because of all the anxiety combined with my mental/nero issues. Iv been able to control my anxiety my whole life but my symptoms made it unberible to be at school. I finally went to my pediatrician & he check out my "lower back area" & discovered that i had a perianal fistual/abscess. He said I'd probably have to get it removed surgically but gave me antibiotics to treat it & said it'd be normal if it went away but it would eventually come back. After 2 weeks of anti biotics it went away after getting it checked out.
That even mayed me miss more of school because when i came back in early march i was being treated even worse. Even being mocked by my own friends. I couldn't take it anymore. It got to a point where i couldn't ignore it no matter how hard i tried. My eyes were constantly watering. I wanted to burst out & yell ,& cry. I had to tell my dad on numerous occasions to pick me up from school. (at this point i stopped vyvanse & weed completely) Then i decided in mid march that i couldn't remain living my life at that school. I stayed home for the next 2 weeks as my dad was trying to get me transfers to another school. While being at home, having no friends or life, depression set in. & everything got 10 times worse.

All i did was eat & sleep. I started to notice more twitching & every part of my body mostly when laying down. Legs, arms, even face sometimes. My knees especially tingle & feel numb& twitch everytime I lay on them or have a blanket over em. I started getting migranes (migraines) (especially in my left eye that would go over my head down to the the back of my head on the left side. My eyes constantly seemed to be more blurry. My right eye gets darker/blurry in very dim light. (really my eyes hadn't looked normal since December. I noticed More vessels were appearing & the pink cavity inside your eye next to your nose was getting bigger.) I noticed my lower forhead/browbown was getting swollen/bigger & so was the bones on the side of the face next to the ear. I had so much pressure in my lower head & in my temples (which looked like they were sunken) I also noticed the bones on top of my shoulders were popping out more. & so was the collar bone. & I also noticed my shins felt like they were loosing bone density. But my biggest issue is that the weird eye movement I had back in January has evolved into a twitch im getting in my head & limbs. Like lets say il think about getting up to do something really urgent like get out of bed, my should will actully jerk up as if I was going to. Now im having these uncontrolled jerks when doing the most easiest things. Like il be laying down on my back using my phone, & il adjust my head but il overshoot it & my head will twitch back. It got to a point where it felt like i was lossing my motor skill & couldnt tottaly control myself. I haven't felt at ease & normal in a long time..

I explained all my symptoms to my pediatrician & he was more focused on my anxiety so he prescribed me sertaline & set me up with a sycyatrist because me & my mom had got into an argument in the waiting room. After i took half a 50mg of sertaline the next day, i didnt feel a y different. Coming down did feel quite weird. At night my jerky movements got worse. I skipped the next day to take them. Then took them the day after that, it was the same. The day after that i didn't take it again but i woke up with no headache or bad feelings. I felt like it might be a good day, espiclly since my twitches wernt bothering me as much since i was kinda getting used to them. But aa i sat in a chair playing video games, i notcied how i couldnt atay focused on my tv. It was like i was so bored i was looking passed the tv, but i couldnt concentrate no matter how hard i tried. My pulse started getting fasteras so was my breathing & i felt light headed & dizzy. Then i felt like it was a dream. I couldnt move my limbs exactly how i wanted to & it felt like i was gonna black out. Felt like i had major brain fog. Idk why i got this way. It wasnt like my own anxiety provoked it. It eventully went away 15 mins later after having my mom helped me with my breathing. After that i felt extremly tired.
I then saw the sycyatrist the next day with my dad & explained that i really didn't need a therepy, i needed a neurologist. I explained all my symptoms & told her about the incident & she tottaly agreed that I needed a neurologist because I could've had a seizure.

I am now waiting for my next appoint with my peditrician so he can refer mw to whatever doctors I need to see. I hadden gotten extensive lab/blood work done back in late February that confirmed that I looked healthy. He also saw I tested positive for thc. Last time he talked to me he said I should be taking the sertaline in the mornings 30 mins before I take my 60 mg vyvanse. I did that for the first time today & at the high of my medicine I felt great. But now that im coming down my body cannot stop shivering, im having more intinse musle/motore twitches, & my speech has slowed down & im very forgetfull of words I need to say.
If there's anyone out there who has any knowledge of what might be going on please please help. Im very scared. Its so hard to go out in public this way. I just want my life back..
    Wow!  I can totally understand how worried you must feel.  The length of your post alone shows the level of your concern - not to mention your symptoms.  
     First question is  - was it a psychologist or a psychiatrist you finally went to see?  Big difference in what they can do for you.   You definitely need a doctor that can prescribe medication and also one that can help you with your issues.  I don't think your pediatrician has been that helpful.  I don't blame him, because I think you are past his level of expertise.  
    Just from your comments.  Your anxiety is a huge liability for you.  I don't know if it is caused by ADHD or not.  Anxiety is certainly one of the co-disorders.  And weed is a great way to mask the anxiety.  But it doesn't solve the problem.
    I hate to say this but, ya, you do need the therapy because you need to learn how to deal with what is bugging you.  And yes, the meds are important at the start because they allow you to get control of your life, but then you need to learn how to deal with your life.   So don't be afraid of therapy.  Good therapy will help you identify what is going on and show you ways to deal with it.  Meds only mask the problem, until you learn how to deal with it.  And if you never learn how to deal with the problem or identify it - thats not good.  
    You really need to find a doctor that can help you.  You are at that point where it is important one.  That is also why I asked what doc you saw.  It sounded more like a psychologist.  If it was a psychologist then you  need to start with a psychiatrist.  The neurologist is also a good choice.  They will refer you back to a doctor who can provide help once they determine what is going on of a medical nature.
    Man, I hope this helps.  You are going through some heavy duty stuff.  Keep in touch!
  One other thought.  Print out your post and give it to who ever sees you.  There is a lot of really important information here that should prove useful.
I would venture to guess that the weed/Vyvanse combo set something off. I've smoked my fair share in the past and absolutely cannot on Vyvanse or similar drugs. My brother in-law had a similar experience when he was about 16/17. He mixed many drugs and his brain sort of snapped. He has a family history of bi-polar. Some people have a genetic disposition for disorders and they lay dormant until something activates it, like a weed/meth combo. I know you are scared. Make sure you work closely with a doctor to find the right meds and do not smoke weed or do anything other than what is prescribed. Even then it can take some time to find the right ones. My brother in-law has done very well after he found the right meds to take. And take Sandman's advice and find a good therapist. Good luck. You will get past this.
I wanna update just to let yall know I went to see a practitioner last week & told her everything. She gave me antibiotics incase of a sinus infection cuz she did say she saw drainage at the back of my throat. They also drew blood. My blood sugar level was at 39. They said I could've gone into a coma. They did more tests on Friday to see if it was diabetes/hypoglycemia. She also set me up to get an MRI of my head on Tuesday. I have an appointment with a syctatrist tommorow.
   Oh man, glad to hear that you are getting help.  Hang in there, things will get better.  Best wishes!
Thanks.!
I definitely agree with Ryannn94, that you should see a neurologist and rule out anything else that might be causing your issues.  I would do this first.  When my son had ADHD and other problems the first thing the pediatrician wanted to do was rule out neurological and physical reasons.  Then maybe treat the mental aspects.  I think... from the things you have pointed out that this is the way that I would go.  I really think it makes the most sense.  Please keep us informed.
My results from the MRI from my brain were normal. The results from my blood work & glucose test confirm that I have hypoglycemia. Im now going to take vitamins & shakes & get fit to see if I get better. Im getting way too skinny even though i have been eatn more. Im also still going to see a neurologist.
Im going through the same thing you were right now. Only i didnt use it as prescribed. I took 120mg every other day, so i dont know if thats better or worse. I have the exact same symtoms (symptoms) exept my black outs last roughly a minute and i lose my vision during the entire black out. How long did your withdraw last. I was doing this for 8 months. Any advise for a fellow amphetamine user in need of some help?
   See my post to your main post.