ADD / ADHD Community
People say I'm stupid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

People say I'm stupid

I was just diagnosed with ADHD about a month ago. I have struggled with my grades for the past 2 years (I am a junior girl in high school). We couldn't figure out why I was doing so poorly because before I had gotten straight A's. That's when I was tested and diagnosed with ADHD. My school will not offer me a 504 plan because they say I get "average" grades. No, I'm getting D's. That is NOT okay for someone with the intelligence I have, the 5 hours of studying I do EVERY night, and the work I do each day. The school told me I was stupid and that's why I'm not getting better grades. But I'm not stupid! I know I'm not!!!! I have an above average intelligence- my IQ was tested. I have dreams to be a doctor and everybody just keeps putting me down. My parents tell me how amazing and proud they are of me. While my school tells me that I should be in academic classes and that I am simply, quote "she does not have the brains to perform at an advanced level." however, I am taking 3 AP classes and I'm praying the meds will help me concentrate! I got an A in my ap class last year thanks to the meds. I am not stupid. I am smart. I can do this, right? I can prove that I DO deserve to be a doctor and that I DO have the brains to perform at an outstanding level, right? Or am I just stupid?
   Well, the school is certainly stupid.  What state are you in anyway?  Texas by any chance (sorry bias there)?  
    The criteria for a 504 is that AD/HD "must be determined to substantially limit your learning."  (from  "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley. p 76)  If you have gone from A's to D's, I think your learning has been hurt by your ADHD.  This happens all the time to kids with ADD.   Their natural intelligence gets them through subject areas (and good teachers who explain things in class).  Then when it becomes book driven/home work driven, the inability to concentrate screws them.
   The meds should help you.  But don't just depend on the meds.  The more information you have on AD/HD the better equipped you will be to deal with it - and help others who have it.   The book I mentioned above is a great place to start as its got a very user friendly content.
    I would also have your parents call the district special education department.  Tell them that your rights under Section 504 are being trampled on ( read Ashley p. 74) and you want to either have an evaluation or appeal the process (p78 - Ashley).  And if you are lucky enough to have had any witnesses around when they said "she does not have the brains to perform at an advanced level."   Ya, you are gonna have some fun with them.   But in reality, the main point is not your stupid district.  Its YOU learning how to deal with this.
     Oh, it also sounds like you have just started on meds.  Common practice is to start low and then listen to what your patient has to say.  Make sure you inform your psyc what is going on.  They expect this.
     If you need any more info - I've got tons of stuff.  best wishes.
I've got other resources that can help.  
In addition to ADHD something else may be going on. Puberty. I have noticed that when boys reach puberty they tend to settle down and become more focused. When girls reach puberty they often become emotionally rattled. This may temporarily affect their academic performance.
Don't let the school run your life. If they refuse to help you succeed as an individual, then they have failed to perform their sole function. Discuss with your parents about going to another school in your area that has an open enrollment policy who is more tolerant of adolescents with ADHD and will help you reach your potential.