ADD / ADHD Community
Randomly flipping through pages

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Randomly flipping through pages

I am not sure if this is the right topic or not. I have never been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and I don't know if I am or not. I noticed that if I have this issue where I am always playing with paper. When I am sitting in a class or at my desk, I thumb through the pages of a notebook over and over and I was just curious if there is a medical explanation for this. I don't know if this is my way to keep me focused or if I have an issue. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
Hi there.  Interesting question.  Perhaps you are right, it is a method to keep you focused.  As it is harmless and working, it doesn't appear to be a problem.  My son has a nervous system issue called sensory integration disorder.  He often needs to be doing something with his hands to stay focused.  If he has a piece of paper, without thinking about it, he will tear it into tiny little pieces.  Not good as that makes a mess.  A hand squeezy item or fidget does the same thing as the paper.  chewing gum as well.  So, if you want to try to switch it up, those are two things to try.  good luck
   Ya, I find it very hard to just sit and watch something.  I need to chew gum, correct papers, suck on a hard candy, do a suduko, etc.   So it could be fine.  But, here is a good site for symptoms of ADD or ADHD if you wish to look deeper into this.  The site is - http://www.help4adhd.org/about/what/WWK8
Thanks for your inputs, I greatly appreciate it.