ADD / ADHD Community
Really struggling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Really struggling

I am 35 make . I am in serious need of advice. I recently got promoted to a position that requires a lot of stressful fast paced environment . I am not allowed to take Ritalin or any other of those drugs because my job will fire me. This promotion has been the worst thing I ever took. I make 10 grand more, I put up a good farce to get this promotion however my new co workers already see me as if I am incompetent. Just yesterday someone asked me to check on a message, I received thee adage and gave it to the person required. The person who asked me to relay the message asked me if I did, I forgot and asked the same co- worker the same question, he said you just told me about this , tell the guy on the phone we got it. I was enbarrassed. My mind is in a constant fog. I take 80 mg of starters . 4o day 4o night . I been on it a month. The first 2 weeks were great, now I'm back to my old confused self. This new assignment will gets fired. My family will suffer. I really need this job. Why can't I just focus. This is really a sad state I am in. I never thought I would be Lin this predicament. It sounds like I am begging. Don't know what to do .
      If you have a doctors prescription for medication and you get fired for taking what your doctor recommends - I think you would have serious grounds for a lawsuit.  There is a big difference between a speed addict and someone with ADHD.  You really FIRST need to find out what your company policy really is about legally prescribed medication.  
    Second, all docs start you off on a low dose and wait to see how you respond.   Sounds like you body has adjusted and the dose needs to be upped.  And you should check into the extended release versions.  
     What you need to do (beside really check on company policy) is talk to your doc.  Maybe do that first since he may know more on this subject then I do.  Also let him know that the meds are not working now.  Hope this helps.
My doc is 87 years old, he didn't even know what strattera was before I researched it. He told me I never heard of that.  He wanted to start me on 100 mg of strattera but I told him 40mg to start was better. He seemed like he didn't know what the heck he was doing. Many times the patient knows more than the doctor.
Strattera is a non stim. Drug.  Should be no problem taking it .  Hope it works for you
    Read up more on Strattera.  It can take 2 to 4 weeks to take effect.  40mg is a middle dose.  Guidelines say "Based on weight, 0.5 to 1.5mg/kg, target 1-1.4 mg/kg"  for the dose.  So yes, you may want to up the dose.
     From this source - http://www.leeheymd.com/charts/adhd_1.html
krichar Baby girl is 7 months now..... Comment
31 mins ago
krichar commented on photo
32 mins ago
krichar uploaded a new photo