ADD / ADHD Community
Risperdal or Vyvance

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Risperdal or Vyvance

Does anyone have experience with Risperdal and Vyvance?  The patient is a three and a half year old male diagnosed with ADHD and ODD.  The ODD is definitely more of an issue than the ADHD.  Medication is being considered.  What are some of the pros and cons of these two drugs?  Which would likely be better at controlling the ODD?
I haven't found either medicine to help OCD.
Sorry, mis-read "ODD" as "OCD."
i just want to say that my 7 year old was on rysperdol,he was on it for 2 years! then i found out that he  had a very hi amount of prolactiin? in his system (hormone)
and that if he continued taking these meds he could get ''breasts'' ' and also breast milk!!
so i would defently say NO!! especialy for a young child!...it didn't help anyways,in my opinion! Also the Vyvance.My son took that as well.dose not work at all (well for him anyways)....made him very iratible. Hope this helps! my son has been on a bit of meds so if you have any other questions please ask.Hope i can help! :)
Thanks for the info.  His appointment isn't until the end of this month so I am still investigating options.  I was hoping to avoid medication for him completely.  However, it is now getting to the point where he is starting to hurt his older brother so I feel like we have to do something.  I think there may be more going on than just the ADHD, ODD, and Semantic-Pragmatic disorders he has been diagnosed with.  He goes from acting fine to screaming like he is crazy in no time.  He will sometimes then scream things like "I can't calm down!"  "I need something to help me calm down!"  Sometimes if I get in his face and am nice but stern telling him he can calm down and that he needs to do so right now it helps a bit.  Sometimes I have to do that for a few minutes, telling him over and over that he CAN calm down, take a breath, etc.  I know I don't want him on something that is going to make him a zombie but I can't have him hurting his brother and destroying things either.
I've taken both of the medications and the side affects are just to much to help with the add/adhd. if i were you i would put the patient on a low dosage of stratera (Strattera) and let them be. if that doesn't work then like most people that they put on this medication doesn't need it and it's all in their head.
another thing about the vyvance, it has a tendency to make the user sick an have a chemical imbalance in the head to where when they wake up in the morning they feel sick and then don't fell better until a couple of hours later. the side affects can last years after being taken off of the medication.
If he's doing all of that then it might not be that he need the medication he just thinks he needs it. it's all inside of his head. he thinks that if he's on the medication then he'll feel better and behave better when in truth most of the time it wont help. your best bet is to work on him with some exercises like breathing, calming down, thinking before he reacts and thinking about the consequences to his reactions. they may not work at first but they will in the long run.
Help, I am not sure if anyone is still on this log but i am in need of help. My son has had issues in school academically, socially, etc. at home though he has been the sweet boy that i know and love, until yesterday. now he has symptoms of odd, add, and developmental delay. i have wait for so long for help (4years) and i am still on waiting lists. but yesterday he almost killed me and his 3 year old sister, by through things at my head while driving on the highway this went on for two hours along with screaming. Now i will admit i lost it my tempare and patiences, especially when he is jepordizing our lives. i was sturn did not work, i stopped the vechical to let him cool down then he refused to et back in. so i had to pick him up and put him in(due to freezing weather conditions) he said the most horrific things to me, and wishing that he and his sister would die....i still can't figure out the trigger. and yes i am in shock at this point i feel he needs severe medical attention, but again due to waiting list there is nothing......i fear for our lives due to his lack of control over himself, it is like night and day....i have cried for the last 24 hours over all of this and i still can't look at him. i have asked familie to help but even his own father does not want him there because my son treats his fathers girlfriend pretty bad as well...now i know what the next question is and me and his father have been sepereted for over 8 years so no that is not the issue.....please help, anyone, it is a horriable feelings that i know there is something wrong and no one wants to help us....