Ritalin and mitral valve prolapse
I was reciently prescribed ritalin for adhd, it has really made an amazing difference. I have gotten a job and am doing well and before I could only last a few days, I'm also thinking about taking some classes which I don't think I could have done before. Anyway I have mitral valve prolapse, I have had a few panic attacks over the years but never had a major problem with it. I know I'm probably just being paranoid but is it safe for someone with mitral valve prolapse to be taking ritalin? I'm 21 years old if it matters, thanks.
   Well, your prescribing doctor should certainly be informed about your condition.  I couldn't find anything under mitral valve prolapse to indicate that ritalin would be a problem.  And it is always possible that the ritalin will help with your anxiety which overall could be a good thing.  Best wishes.
Thanks, that's what I thought too I just wanted to make sure. My doctor asked me if I had any serious helath problems and I didn't think to mention it because I never really thought about it being a problem until a few days ago I read something that said ritalin is bad for your heart. I feel like now that I'm able to function more like a "normal" person I do have a lot less anxiety. I'm gonna stop worring about it, in my case I feel the benefits outweigh the risks.
      Well, there is no doubt that if you don't have ADHD and you are taking "speed", and you abuse it, its gonna be bad for you.  
        And what you have is not classified as a "serious health problem", but I would probably still mention it to the doc.
        By the way, there are two sites aimed at the adult ADD sufferer that you might want to check out are totallyadd.com and http://jeffsaddmind.com/for-first-time-visitors.
               Both sites are done by people with ADD.  totallyadd was actually a PBS special and consequently is a series of short videos.  Quite entertaining and useful.   Jeffs add mind really reflects him.  Has much more adult interaction.  Both are worth checking out.  While you have ADHD, there is a lot here that is relevant.  Best wishes!!!
I checked out those sites you mentioned, thanks for the info. Yeah they are both cool and geared more toward adults where many of them are about little kids. I appreciate your help :)