ADD / ADHD Community
Schools and funding for special needs kids
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Schools and funding for special needs kids

I just recently had an IEP meeting for my 15 year old. He is getting ready to go to high school next year.  Upsetting part is that he was diagnosed in MI with ADHD and then when we moved to AL he was tested throug the school and result was autism. I took him to a dr and tested, result ADHD.  School insists he shows more signs of autism and pretty much made it sound like he would get better help if it was autism and not adhd or if it is a combination it would benefit him.  I have been arguing with the school for 5 years that he is not autistic he had adhd per his dr.  Does the school system get more or better funding if he has autism?   I have been told no but if that is true why do they keep pushing autism?  I am so aggravated with the school with this and dont want to jepordize his education by fighting this issue but two drs have said adhd and the school system says autism.  Why dont they go out on a limb and call it aspergers?
     It is easier for a child to qualify for an IEP (and federal funding) with an Autism diagnosis then an ADHD diagnosis.   So the school well could be telling you the truth that he would get better help with the autism due to qualifying for an IEP rather then just a 504 (which is more typical for a child with ADHD) .  And it is possible to have both.
     I would go with whatever gets your child the best treatment!
     However, it would be nice to know exactly what he has.  If your doctors are psychologists or psychiatrists and used surveys to also check with his school teachers, then they are probably more correct.   But as long as the schools and doctors agree on his treatment, it should not be a problem.
     Hope this helps.  If you want any more info on ADHD, I would be glad to help.  We also a an autism forum on Medhelp too.  Best wishes.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Recent Activity
1236893_tn?1408490528
Blank
Study finds laundry detergent pods,...
10 hrs ago by gymdandee
1236893_tn?1408490528
Blank
AMP-activated protein kinase possib...
15 hrs ago by gymdandee
11497835_tn?1418839592
Blank
SRS2 commented on Sleep Apnea and Night...
Dec 17
Top Children's Development Answerers
Blank
Sandman2
San Pedro, CA
Blank
kirk8
Eureka, CA, CA
ADD / ADHD Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank