ADD / ADHD Community
Sensory processing eval

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Sensory processing eval

I had my son eval. today for SPD and she does think he has sensory processing disorder.  She also feels like he has anxiety and separation anxiety as well. I think he's anxious as well.  She feels he has modulation issues and also issues with auditory processing.   She does not feel he has ADHD.  So many people have said my son is probably ADHD, esp the school personnel.  So now she is going to write a report and then we can soon sign up for therapy sessions.  I asked her how she got into this and she said she felt like she has had sensor issues in the past herself.  
Very interesting.  Adhd and sensory can look so much alike in a kid as the nervous system is involved in both.  Sensory is kind of the new one being studied so the awareness is less but I think you'll see that growing.  My son has issues with both modulation and auditory.  Have faith, my son is doing really well.  They have really learned ways to help our kids.
I also wanted to say that my boy was diagnosed this time of year as well which worked out great as we had the rest of Spring and all Summer to work on things so that he was in a better place by the next school year!
Thanks, specialmom to you for all your help/guidance.  we go back to the psychiatrist today to see what they think as well.  Will keep you posted.  It's very stressful and always new decisions to make, etc.  I just am trying to have hope they will be able to help my son.  he really struggles with behavioral issues in the current school.  I just hope he is not "hopeless".  He can be a really sweet kid and he's smart.  

I wrote a while ago because I thought my son had ADD/ADHD.  This has been ruled out.  As a mother I cannot shake this feeling that something is wrong with my son.  His symptoms are: fidgety. ***** his sleeves(wet), implulsive, does not know why he does certain things, very loud,disruptive, rough with his sister and other children at preschool and clumsy.  He is also very bright and loving(tactile actually).  I just read on SID and I see that you have personal experience in this.    
that was suppose to be sucking his sleeves. as in suckle in case it blocks it again.
I do have a son with sensory processing or integration disorder.  He does all of things that you mention.  I'd be happy to help in any way that I can!  We've come a long way and my son copes really well now.  An occupational therapist evaluates for it and that is how it is treated.  We've had tremendous sucess.  I have lots of at home tips as we do things for sensory every day.  Let me know how I can help you!  I'm pleased to do so.  
Please do look into it and if you feel it fits then request an eval with an OT.  It can't hurt to have the eval, see what they think.  SPD is often confused with ADHD, you can have both too.  But if you treated the SPD if your son has it, it might help.  My son was biting holes in his shirt at one school.   I think anxiety had a big role in that.
having my little 3 1/2 yr old girl tested for spd and autism on the 15th july hopefully i can finally get an answer to her big little problems as shes becoming very hard to handle as shes not responding to any discipline or suggestions.
her problems are
-sucking hands
-mouthing  objects and licking
-slaps herself in the head all the time
-frustrates very easy
-screams and crys over play and being looked at
-rips anything until there little bits
-peels paint, her skin & toe nails
-attacks others
-wont eat new food or drinks or use other forks bowls or sippy cups
-wont toilet train
-takes things litrally
-walks oddly
-holds hands in odd ways
-flicks her fingers together even while asleep.
-does not follow instructions if more than 3 words are used
eg, go to bed- she does not understand but if i say bed time she knows. get the ball is not understood but get ball is.
-continues to do things she know she will be in-trouble for, even if shes just been told off for doing it.
-has tantrums over things like her toast isn't cut correctly or its on the wrong color plate
-acts as if she can not hear.
-mimics everything if i say i have a head ache she says she has too, if someone says there toast is covered in dog doos she says hers is etc.
-can not hold a conversation or eye contact for more than a few seconds and parrots things she hears.
i think that is all of it.
what do you think it could be?
Hi.  Many things on your list were on my son's list as well.  He has sensory integration disorder.  How is your daughters speech and communication?  

We changed up things we were doing and it helped a lot.  For example, realizing that my son had auditory issues was helpful for me.  Instead of just saying his name over and over and being frustrated-------- I walked over and touched his arm and made eye contact.  Then he would talk to me or hear me.  We started some deep pressure things at bed time that really helped relax him.  I broke directions down and did a lot of "showing" him what to do.  For new things, I did hand over hand teaching.  Like using scissors.  I placed them in his hand and then my hand over his and we cut.  He got the feeling of it.  He would shake his hand from mine . . . and then not be able to do it.  I'd keep it very calm and show him hand over hand again.  Staying calm is really important.  I would take my hands when he was trying to pedal and move his feet so he felt the action and the imprint of that feeling would reach his brain.  The hope was next time he tried to do it on his own, the memory of doing it would click and he'd be able to do it himself.  ETc.

I'm glad you are having an evaluation in July.  As I said, my son just has sensory integration disorder which can be an issue on its own or comorbid with something like autism or add/adhd.  An occupational therapist treats with for sensory issues.  Many people just think of sensory as the tactile issues but it is much more than that.  Motor planning involves how a child puts thought together, for example.  

But I want you to have LOTS of hope.  They can really do amazing things with our children these days.  They can help tremendously.  My son is in kindergarten and has no IEP as he is functioning that well now.  This is because we went for early intervention and addressed his issues head on.  So good for you MOM for doing that for your daughter.  She's going to be just fine with a mom like you guiding things.  Good luck and if you have any sensory questions, I'm always available to try and help.  
thankyou. her talking is really limited unless shes coping me. comunication is very lacking as she will cry before asking.
My son has sensory issues and he was very delayed speech, not until after age three and really started to blossom around 3.5.  Still some words are hard to understand.  I think you are on the right track.  A lo tof kids with autism have sensory issues as well.  My son is like that sometimes, if things are not done to his liking or specifications can lose it..  I know all his little quirks.  

It's ahrd when communication is limited.  And when they have fits they don't respond well to typical discipline.  Unless you have gone through this witha  child you cannot understand!!  It's so hard and I hope you stay on the forum.
she had a bad day/night today she tried 3 times to chock her little sister and would not listen to me at all....it was tantrum after tantrum she wasn't happy with the amount of Vegemite on her toast then i got her the wrong type of drink even tho she said that's the one she wanted then after breakfast she just got worse crying over dvd's and toys then attacked me with the toys so at lunch time i sat her down to eat her baked beans and they were all wrong too because i took to long.... so after lunch she had a little nap. and decided that she was bored of playing alone and woke her sister up....it wasn't until my husband came home that she settled a bit. i was at my whits end with her at tea time she ate tea after we told her she wasn't eating anything else until tea was gone. it was a horrible day for all of us. im hoping tomorrows not as bad i can not wait for results from doctors as i don't know how to help her and how to discipline her im afraid shes going to hurt her little sister who is a few months of 2 but shes small she looks more like a 12 month old.
sounds like a really bad day.  HOw discouraging!!  I certainly hope as well thtat tomorrow is better.  Try to get some rest tonight and tomorrow is a new day.  It's hard to discipline when the kids act like this.  People tell you things, but they don't always go according to plan. If you don't know what is causing it, it's hard to know exactly what to do, but I think further testing is definitely warranted and you are doing the right thing. Are you English, you mention tea time...
im Australian. today has been slightly more easy shes just wandering around aimlessly today pulling things out and ripping up playing cards. but no tantrums yet.
If you take her places to run around, how does she do?  Maybe get out of the house and let the kids go to a park or run outside, just a thought.  
shes scared of the park and its a tad bit cold now as we are in winter and live 20 minutes drive from a snow resort.... the only thing she likes is trampolines and our swings at home.
she is very hard as she goes from one thing to the next in seconds.
im a bit concerned for my other little one too as shes very smart for her age and lately she has started to flap her hands when annoyed and lines up blocks and makes towers for hours on end. shes not even 2 yet but im concerned as she hardly speaks also but loves to mimic may have her checked also she is smart tho if she can not say something she will use her own little sign language like pointing to her nose when she wants to blow it and pointing at her teeth when she wants to brush them.
we are taking the kids to the snow very soon so hopefully this year ebonie my 3 yr old doesn't cry all day again.

thank you for the idea tho. maybe a run around a shop she likes shops just not all the people in there.
I know it's hard and it must be hard to be pent up inside all day with a child who acts out.  IT sounds like autism to me to a degree with sesnory issues, but usually a lot of autistic kids have sensory issues as well.  Keep posting.  Ihope you were able to get out and about. I wish I had a trampoline for my son.  He would love it..
we are off to the shops today, hopefully shes ok with it she had a little screaming attack today because she wanted the yellow blocks not the red ones and my little bubby had the yellow ones. we sorted it out by giving them half each.
Thanks for the feedback.  I will be seeing an OT in two weeks.  Just got my son's progress report from school(school holidays have started here in South Africa).  The teacher's evaluation: impressive vocabulary for a 5 year old;well mannered;has problems with cutting using scissors;gets frustrated and despondent easily if he can't master a task;wants to answer all questions and does not give the others turns to respond;cries easily when frustrated.  I have seen the posts regarding SID and have a feeling that this is it.  

To ashebs;
Wishing you a good day and you are a GOOD mom.  

If anyone is interested in reading about SPD, and all the various treatments for these conditions, I have some recommendations for you. (My son had SPD too)

The Out-of-Sync Child  by Carol Kranowitz, M.A.
The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun  (same author)

Raising A Sensory Smart Child  by Lindsey Biel, M.A., OTR/L and Nancy Peske

And perhaps most important of all,  Enzymes for Digestive Health and Nutritional Wealth  by
Karen DeFelice

I bought all of these online. They pretty much answer any question you could have about sensory problems, and where to go and what to do about it. All of these books are packed with extremely beneficial information. There is an incredible amount of knowledge here.

Enzy
Noma, I left you a note.  Wishing you luck with the occupational therapist------ they do wonders. Also more in my note-------- you can send one back or a pm if you have any thoughts.

Ashebs------- it is really hard with a little one that we are trying to work things through with.  And with one even younger than that----------- I hope you get to take a break once in a while!  

Before doing something like going shopping---------  run a race around the house or something.  Do some "heavy work"-------- it will help keep her calm prior to getting to the place you are going.  What I would do for something like the juice incident---------  is she gets upset you gave her the wrong juice (even though it is what she asked for-----------)  well then give her a choice before she gets too upset. Do you want THIS juice or this other juice and let her pick and move on.  Don't argue "but you picked this one" as the ability to be reasonable at that point is limited.  It will escalate the problem.  Use phrases "you seem like you are really upset (or mad, sad, etc.)."  What can we do to calm down.  Then give her options.  It takes time but staying calm and picking an option vs a tantrum is the goal.  

Games at home--------- what about an obstacle course?  Kids usually like it.  Crawling under a coffee table is good, jumping through part of the course is good, climbing over some stacked high pillows is good.  Make it a fun game but she'll still be getting some sensory work.  A game of tug of war with a blanket is fun.  You provide just enough pressure for her to be working.  If you are interested, google "sensory songs" which is a cd set for sensory kids that is activities to music. It is excellent.  We got ours on ebay.
Drinking thick liquids through a straw is calming to the nervous system------- try apple sauce or a thick smoothie.  

Wishing you a good day--------  all of you!
will look up the cd as she loves music we normally dance and they do climb all over the house and she loves jumping off the couch. thank you for the extra ideas.
getting close to appointment we have not told her shes going because she said she doesn't like the doctor anymore because the get needles in her and look at her heaps.
will be telling her on the day of going as she doesn't seem to remember one day to the next so if i tell her today or tomorrow she will forget.
Hi.  I just wanted to say that you don't need to refer to this visit as a "doctor's appt" at all.  Is it a neurologist?  If not, it is a developmental doctor and they do things that won't feel like a doctor's appointment.  This is so funny-----------  we've been going to our occupational therapy for two years now with my son.  Just LAST week when the OT says something about occupational therapy he says "This is occupational therapy?"  "I thought we were just playing."  So----------  I'd tell her that you guys are going to talk to some nice people and not make it a "doctor's appt.". Just my thoughts on it.  
its a neurological pediatrician. shes also got to get blood work done again to check on her red blood cells because there abnormally large.
I hope her red blood cells are okay, does she have sickle cell?

Best of luck.
no its macrocytosis its normally associated with anemia, b12 deficiency, liver disease and alcoholism and rare with leukemia. but she has none of these.
so shes still undergoing tests to find out what it is next step is bone marrow check... ouch.
she needs to go see a hematologist for that test tho and the closest one 174km or 2 1/2 hrs drive on a good traffic day from where we live.
thank you its getting closer and im getting anxious... no one wants there child to be different but i want to know so i can help her....
we are home now and ebonie has been diagnosed as having aspergers syndrome or mild high functioning autism. more tests to do it put her in the right spot.
she is also having an eeg on friday 25th to make sure shes not having epileptic seizures, she will also be seeing a speech pathologist.
Hi.  Well, finally a diagnosis.  Let me say that a diagnosis of high functioning autism gives you lots of direction to go in.  They have wonderful things in place for aspergers children.  I mean, really wonderful things.  I'm sure you'll see an occuapational therapist (at least, I would try to insist on it).  They work on the "living life" part of coping and behavioral things.  They help with peer interaction, emotional management (in terms of self soothing), day to day things that involve any motor skills and keeping the nervous system well regulated.  Speech therapy is so helpful as well.  Let us know how the eeg turns out.

I just want to say that I remember full well and occasionally still have a hint of the feelings I had when my son was first diagnosed.  All the months leading up to it were scary, frustrating, and full of anxiety.  Finding out the diagnosis gave me a sense of peace but still some sadness and anxiety as I didn't know exactly what it would mean for my child's life.  I went through a period of depression over it, to be honest.  I still coped alright but had many a sleepless night over it.  Then it hit me---------  I just adored my child . . . developmental delay or not.  And then I just moved past it and began the journey of helping him have a great life.  So . . . I'm sure you are glad to know what is going on but sad at the same time.  Do some nice things for yourself and find some supportive people to talk to.  Eventually, you might want to join a support group in your area.  I have found that so many families are dealing with something like this.  It is good to not feel alone.  We are always here for you for that too.  I wish you and your daughter the very best!
Just as a thought, for you to keep in mind, when I took my son to a neurologist,( after 2 years of hypersensitivity and emotional problems), he was "diagnosed" as having high-functioning autism. He was reluctant to order the MRI I asked for, said it wasn't necessary. However, the endocrinologist I took him to the same month, agreed with me that he was not autistic, and ordered the MRI.
That's when his pituitary tumor was finally discovered! Post-surgery, he still has many problems caused by severe hormone imbalances, and a severely damaged pituitary gland, from the growing tumor.

His primary doc apologized for not recognizing what his problem was sooner. The delay may have cost my son any chance for a "normal" life. He also apologized for the neurologist's misdiagnosis. (They were friends).

Obviously, not every child diagnosed with autism has a brain tumor! I would never say that. However, autism is a brain injury, and here in the states many autistic kids have been helped, some so well that their autism diagnosis was withdrawn, after biomedical treatments to normalize metabolic imbalances.

My son's organic acids tests revealed changes that were indications of hormone loss, severe mineral imbalance and adrenal stress. I highly recommend this test for any child who has a diagnosis of autism. So much suffering can be relieved when these dietary and nutritional interventions are used.

Best Wishes, and keep us updated!
yes i was sad and happy that we got an answer.
i cant wait until she starts speech therapy and occuapational therapy if they think she needs it.
eeg is going to be very stressful to her as we have to keep her up late so she will sleep the next day because she does not have a day nap.
@ enzymelover shes having a neurologist look at her too. they are not doing mri but an eeg because she may be epileptic.
speech therapy is on the 6th july so that will be fun.
Everything is more difficult with these kids, but I'm glad you are FINALLY getting some answers about things and getting some help lined up. It will help you to feel better you are doing something.  Things may not get better overnight, they will not for sure...
so if my son has just a sensory issue without adhd would caffeine still calm him down? i have a sensory tactile delay as did 2 of my kids..but he has the parts that seem like adhd..he just turned three but has all the symptoms others have mentioned including SEVERE aggression...plz advise thank u..
Hi there.  My son also has sensory integration disorder with no other disorder associated with it.  No, medication won't work.  We've had tremendous luck-------  Fantastic even--------- with occupational therapy.  Our OT specializes in sensory and it has been wonderful.  My son had extreme issues with tactile defensiveness and the 'brushing protocol' that occupational therapists use really curtailed much of the problem.  He would have a massive, explosive meltdown if his hands got wet-----  he, within about 6 weeks (no joke), showed great improvement with this and tolerated his hands being wet.  I can tell you about the brushing protocol if you like but it would be best to seek an occupational therapy evaluation officially and treatment from a therapist for his symptoms.  

We worked on things like anger management, coping skills, behavioral issues, social skills and as my son is a 'sensory seeker' ---  we work a lot on activities that directly calm the nervous system and give it the input that it craves.  I have ideas for you surrounding this as well.

But medication does not work.  If he has add/adhd overlapping with it, that is something to look at down the road but in my opinion, he is still too young to be diagnosed with add/adhd at 3.  

What things do you do for your son's sensory issues?  
By the way, my son did not cope well at all during the toddler years and through intervention, he is now a pretty well adjusted 8 year old with no IEP at school.  He has many coping skills he utilizes which keep his sensory system regulated.

One other thing I wanted to mention before you give some more information regarding what you have tried and do for his sensory issues----  is that a  mighty load of 'heavy work' (the word OT's use) helps my son in every area.  It calms him, it helps him maintain his mood, it keeps him from having meltdowns, it helps him sit in school, it helps him sleep, etc.  Have you heard of 'heavy work"??