ADD / ADHD Community
Smoking Athlete and Adderall(adderrall)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Smoking Athlete and Adderall(adderrall)

Hi, I am a 22 year old male, diagnosed with ADD when i was 16. I started on adderall (adderrall) at that time. I played football in high school(running back). Adderall (adderrall) has been very beneficial, as I had poor grades, was hyper active, etc. a week into taking the meds, a friend introdced me to cigarettes. Within a weeks time I was hooked, smoking nearly a pack of cigarettes a day. My dad, who is a smoker, forbid me to smoke. For what ever reason I fought him with a vengence, and won. He allowed me to smoke, even in the house. Today I look and feel like an Oxy- moron, I work out daily, look like the pic. of health, and smoke on the way to the gym. Can anybody relate to this?, and have they been able to quit while still taking Adderall (adderrall). I have tried and failed.
You have to quit! It's never easy, just do it!
     Actually, it should be some what easier to quit while taking meds.  Problem with smoking is that it is highly addicting - as you have found out!  Get your doctors help! You may need the nicotine patch.     Also try coffe and then chewing gum all the way to the gym.  Best wishes - please post if you have any more questions.
I think your smoking may be tied to the use of Adderall (adderrall). Smoking, at least in the short run, is soothing. Anyone who has ever kept bees will understand that. The smoke calms them. (Note that I am not talking about nicotine, but smoke.) Adderall (adderrall) is an upper, so that makes sense.
  Nah, adderall (adderrall) is only an upper to someone who does not have Adhd.  However, smoking is soothing.  Wonder if you have the urges before  the meds kick in?
Thanks for your answer, I need to put my mind to it, and that I haven't done.
Thanks Sandman2, I have tried the patches and wellbutrin with no success.  I may try champix. As far as the desire to smoke before the Adderall (adderrall) kicks in, not as much. As you know there was a shortage of Adderall (adderrall), sometimes I didn't have it for a week or more. By the 3rd day I was smoking as if I was on the meds.
Allmymarbles, sometimes I feel that your answer to my question is most accurate. But I know the Adderall (adderrall) is not speeding me up, I could fall asleep on it easily. Does this make sense?
Someone on Adderall (adderrall) who does not have Adhd could not easily fall asleep on it.  I'm not sure you understand how it works?  It is a stimulant only for those who don't have Adhd.  Thats why I wondered if the urge to smoke was greater when you were not using meds since you would be more hyper when not on meds
Sandman2, yes, I know Adderall (adderrall) is a stimulant and I do understand how it works. Shortly after I started taking it, I researched what Adderall (adderrall) was because I was amazed that when I read a newspaper or did howework, I comprehended and retained most of it. The effects of the meds were almost instant. Before the meds, I rarely unsderstood what I had read, muchless follow directions. I will be graduating from LSU this semester, I wonder if I would have gotten this far without the meds. Looking back I was out in left field when it came to my studies.
We may be saying the same thing - but I want to make sure.  Adderall (adderrall) is  NOT a stimulant to someone with Adhd.  It almost has the opposite effect.
Yes, we are on the same page. It does melow me, I am less anxious, more concentrated,etc. My parents had me evaluated in the 2nd grade, I tested into the 7th grade math level. I was unaware that I was being evaluated, and had one-on-one attention,--- did awesome. The year prior(1st grade), I repeated. They should have put me on meds. then.

I am post poning my idea to quit smoking untill I graduate LSU. (This spring). It's pointless, exams, 2 roomates that smoke, etc...
   Ya, unless your roomies quit with you - it would be very tough.  Best wishes and keep in touch.  Input from people with Adhd and in school is always needed.
yes falling asleep on it easily does make sense.  i have a question in regards to that comment.  i too found it easy, or normal, to fall asleep while on adderall (adderrall).  when you were first prescribed did you have an easy experience sleeping after the first couple of months? or being an athlete, did your go,go,go until you crashed into your bed(figuratively speaking)? because i had a similar experience and i feel i was already capable of falling asleep with the drugs in me when adderall (adderrall) was a part of my life.