ADD / ADHD Community
Son,5 and a half possible diagnosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Son,5 and a half possible diagnosis

I recently took my son to a psychologist. He has been tugging on and jumping on people and ended up hurting a teacher in his Sunday school class by jumping on her back.He has always been hyperactive.Even as a baby,it was difficult to change his diaper because he wiggled so much. But recently,he has been more aggressive and emotional. Having breakdowns and crying over minimal things such as my telling him he cannot have a snack at the moment or a change of plans such as his friend is coming to OUR house as opposed to us going there,where there is a toy my son wanted to play with.I explained to him that we see people to be with them and not thier toys and that I understood his dissapiontment and he calmed down and is looking forward to his buddy coming over now.I sent him to a gymnastics day camp thinking he would love that and he spent most of his time isolated with one coach playing blocks or...you guessed it! riding around on thier backs and jumping on them--they permitted this.They also said he cried and said the lights hurt his eyes. This sounds like a lot of mixed things to me,not just or maybe not even ADHD.I don't want to have him misdiagnosed because of the hyperactivity. I am concerned,he is my only child.
    This is probably a "reach", but you have mentioned several things that would be related to Sids or sensory integration disorder.  It is something that can be treated very successfully by an occupational therapist (no meds).  It does minic ADHD many times.  And we have a parent on the child behavior forum who is an expert in this due to her own child.  Anyway, probably worth your time to check out this link - http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/sensory-processing-disorder-checklist.html

Well, at least some of this, such as the breakdowns and emotional part could be pretty natural 5 year old ways of trying to get what they want.  The hyperactivity is, of course, something else.  But what may be considered hyperactive by you, might not be considered that way by someone else.  To Diagnosis ADHD, the standard is that he must have 6 or more of the symptoms which are shown here:  http://www.healing-arts.org/children/ADHD/#How
   The site mentioned above will give you a ton of information - almost too much.  I always recommend the book - "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley.   I think you will find that it will answer most of your questions and in a much more user friendly format.  Its pretty cheap on Amazon.
    By the way, your idea of enrolling him in a gymnastics class was an idea in the right direction.  Lots of activity (tire him out) is helpful, no matter what he has or doesn't have.  The trouble with a lot of gymnastic classes is that there is a lot of standing around.  Soccer should be starting up now.  See if you can get him into that (can't remember the age cut off, but I know 6 year olds play).  
     Oh, and its possible that the psyc may not make any recommendations until he starts school and the psyc can see how he does in a different setting.   Hope this helps
Thanks so much!
In a situation like this I first look for a physical or environmental cause. Does he get enough sleep? Is he on a high sugar diet (sodas, bottled juices, sweet snacks, junk food)? Then look to your parenting experience. This is your first child and you might be uncertain as to how to handle behavioral problems. Have you gotten any insights from mothers with larger families?

I don't keep soda in the house. He doesn't typically eat junk food. He actually likes veggies and salads.We have meat and veg each night.We are a stable family with a daily routine. No late nights and running around from place to place. He has a bedtime routine.A morning routine.He has structure and free time.I have had several people tell me he is "different". Sunday school  teachers and his gymnastics coach mostly. His pre-school teachers haven't pointed out anything except that he is emotional and busy but a bright,good kid. he is my only child so, I have him on playdates each week. He is in social situations either in a group or 1 on 1 a couple of times weekly. I see how he interacts with the other children and sometimes he blends right in and sometimes he seems to be "different". When I say he cries over small things, I know the difference between manipulation and literally being upset and not able to control his frustration. I have to prep him in advance for certian situations,which is normal for younger kids but he is 5 and a half now and still has a difficult time going into social situations. He is the only child who comes running to his parent when I pick him up yelling (happily) "Mama"! He just acts younger than most kids his age. He doesn't like many movies or shows that aren't animated.Still likes Mickey Mouse.He will not watch what other kids his age are watching,like"Star Wars,Tron,superhero flicks etc. which is fine with me but,like I said he's "different". Anyway,my post wasn't so much about soliciting parenting advice as it was to see if there were any other parents experiencing these same things with their children and what they did or are doing in regards to it. Thanks for your input.
Also,the psychologist suggested checking his thyroid and doing further blood work. Some days are good,some bad as far as emotional upsets and even the high end hyperactivity.I don't give him much sugar at all.He usually has an egg and toast for breakfast or a bagel. not too much cereal and if I give him cereal,it's with almond milk and it's Cheerios mixed with a little of his "bright,sugary junk" cereal.He DOES seem to be hungry almost constantly.He'll eat his lunch and then an hour later,he's hungry.This can go on all day with snacks but he'll eat his meals so,I don't mind giving him snacks in between.Usually an apple,peanubutter toast,bananna,grapes,pretzels or goldfish.He is slim and tall,by the way...
Well you certainly sound like a thoughtful mother. It is also my experience that children cannot exist on three meals a day. With my own I let them eat whenever they wanted and left out bowls of fruit and nuts and things like that.  I sometimes made them honey butter and spread it on bread or crackers. They loved that. Your son is slim. So were my four. I think that with a healthy diet they are more active and burn up whatever calories they take in.

As to your son, some children are naturally more sensitive than others. And some mature a little later  Have you thought to try to think of him as younger than he is?

Yes! I have been on that site over and over and it DOES sound like that. I have printed out material and I am bringing it to psych in Sept. on our next appt. I asked him if he's heard of this and didn't get a clear answer. He was on the phone  with me. It does mimic ADHD. My Pastor mentioned this as well. He has several adopted/rescued children who have various issues.How can I get in touch with the parent/expert on the forum?????!!??
   She posts on the childbehavior forum under "specialmom".  Do a post on " does this sound like SIDS" and list as many things as you can think of.  I see she posted about an hour ago so is active.   She usually hops right on anything that has the word SIDS in it, so I think she should get back to you.   Best wishes.    Oh, and you might ask her opinion on what kind of a doctor would be the best choice to go to.