ADD / ADHD Community
Son making life hell!! Please help urgently!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

We are so worried with this son of ours! He is going to complete 7 yrs of life in September this year. He is studying in a school with class strength of 9 - 10 children. So he gets plenty of personal attention from the teacher and helpers there. But he is very slow in class. He does not want to go to school. He does not want to study at home . Whatever we make him do is forcefully done. Only thing he loves doing is eating. He is always so hungry. He is quite obese for his age. Next he is always throwing tantrums. Cannot behave himself at home or in public. We have to constantly keep an eye on him. He has a passion for fighting. He is very violent and arrogant. Goes on using slangs for no reason at all. Tried to reason out with him. But he does not listen. But is very intelligent. Picks out words which are not meant for his ears. Had been diagnosed with ADHD about 3 years back. Was on medication and therapy but those were of no use. Making charts with stars for good behaviour has no long term success with him. He tends to become tired of these after some time. Our life is becoming hell day by day. We just want to run away from him - to be very frank. Pl could the doctors help!
Try " transforming the difficult child , the nurtured heart approach" by Howard Glasser.  It got me through the worst of my son's years and he is not 17 and doing exceptionally well - against all expectation.

Good luck
Wait your son is not even 7 years old, and he was diagnosed as ADHD 3 years ago... so at age 4 or 5? FIVE?? I'm sure every kid on the planet earth is ADHD at ages 4 and 5! Please consider re-evaluating him before pursuing the medication route.  I was a "trouble" child when I was in grade school..I would never listen, be obnoxious to other classmates, and required a behavior card signed by my teachers and parents each night for years.  To others I seem 'out of control' but really I was just not stimulated and bored with school. I could learn things a lot faster than the other classmates and it would bore me to not learn something new and interesting.  I was diagnosed early on as ADD and ADHD but my parents refused to medicate me.  I am so thankful for that because as I got older, school became a lot more interesting and the pace picked up and my behavior changed.  I really am thankful for my parents decision to not medicate me as a child.  I am certain my personality would be different if the other way around.  I waited until I was 18 to decide to use medication only for school reasons, and although I have seen a marked improvement with school and daily life, It is not a perfect fix.  I still struggle with the idea of needing to be medicated to be 'normal' and have personality complexes (ie: My personality before medication vs the medicated me).  I hope you do not think I am forcing a strong opinion on you, I am just against medication for children and wanted to share my story and struggle with adhd as a child. There is a lot of great help available and the book recommended above looks like a great place to start!  I hope everything works out for you and your son and this entire board has your back!
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN I HAVE A 7 YR OLD THAT WAS DIgnosed WITH ADHD AT AGE 4 AND BEEN MEDICATED SINCE 5 BIG MISTAKE. SHE IS NOW ODD AND HAS ANXIETY. SHE IS BEYOND MY CONTROLL AGRESSIVE HATEFUL HURTFUL DEMANDING , SHE IS JUST REALLY BAD. BUT I FINALLY OPENED MY EYES AND MY OPINION IS SHE IS WAY TO MEDICATED I TOOK HER OFF THE MEDS AS OF THIS MORNING AND SHE STARTS A NATURAL CURES DR NEXT WEEK. THEY SAY 3 MTHS THEY CAN HAVE RESULTS.  WHAT EVER YOU SO DONT MEDICATE YOUR CHILD IT DOES MORE BAD THAN GOOD.