ADD / ADHD Community
Sophomore in college and pregnant.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Sophomore in college and pregnant.

Im 19 years old, and im a sophomore in college. I take 63mg orally of Concerta. I am in the nursing program right now and I must have a GPA no lower than a 2.5. Meaning I MUST take my medication or else I will not be able to focus. I am a couple weeks pregnant and I dont know what is going to happen. I am trying not to take the medication but I REALLY need it! I do not want to be behind and fail my classes but I dont know what to do? HELP!

Also, I have no idea how im going to balance school (&clinical) and caring for a child!, suggestions, advice? Working is not an issue, and adoption and abortion is out of the question!
Tags: sophomore in college, ADD/ADHD, Pregnancy
   Wow! Do you have a lot of things going on.  You gotta be kind of freaked out!   Hopefully, you are at a college that offers support.  Start with the college counselor.  You are not the only one going through this, and they should have experience in dealing with these situations - particularly child care and support for you.
    You also seem worried about he use of Concerta.  Rightly so - any meds taken early in the pregnancy could be a problem.  I have no clue.  The max dose is listed as 72mgs so you are under that which is good.  But this is something that you really need to talk to a doctor with as soon as possible!  It is possible that you might be able to take a small dose of adderall (adderrall) before events where you really need to concentrate.  It will then be out of your system fairly quickly.  But as I said, I don't know how this will effect the child.   And frankly, from my brief bit of research - I'm not sure anybody does.  Check out this article -   http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:kH4CuWvgmbQJ:www.ncgiadd.org/pdf/Medications.pdf+concerta+and+pregnancy+effects&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiFcufEB1wi_HfdGNFOFUQ0n155Cm_kaeSluaSwM15sZrc0fTAk9uLyru2u93xVb2B8cCVBxRCu5WtUzIxzBM8DrjFC1BxZymbtgkqL0QRL3HD8OwDcd7Ki-0bWjRF2zquCd645&sig=AHIEtbQz4LMw6OpGP1bomqkUBwwAxxc92g
   If it doesn't paste in just google concerta and pregancy and look for the 3rd from the bottom.  Also I ran across a neat forum by women with similar problems (med wise) - http://www.womenwithadhd.com/forum/topics/conception-and-pregnancy
     And by the way, if you haven't already done so - there is a great site aimed at adult ADD.  Go to totallyadd.com and start reading.
     Hope some of this helps.  Best wishes!!!!!