ADD / ADHD Community
Sudden Change in Medication-WHAT DO I DO?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

I was diagnosed ADD almost 3 years ago and was then started on Adderall (adderrall) along with my already prescribed Xanax for Anxiety, which was diagnosed when I was 9. My DR took me from 20mg, to 30mg, to 40mg, to 60mg (20mg 3 times a day) in a matter of about 3 months. So, for over 2 years, I have consistently taken 60mg of Adderall (adderrall). Once I was finally stable on my Adderall (adderrall), he then took me off of my Xanax (did not WEEN me off, but TOOK me off) stating that 'Florida Law-He can not prescribe 2 Narcotics'.. I went for my regular, I voiced that after a year and a half of being off of Xanax, I'm now experiencing Anxiety more and more severe.. I understood that he couldnt prescribe another Narcotic, but I felt anything to subside my Anxiety would help.. Instead, he has now taken me off of my Adderall (adderrall) and put me on 1mg of Intuniv, which is for CHILDREN ages 6-17.. I am a 27 year old woman who has been taking 60mg of Adderall (adderrall) for over 2 years, and he just STOPS and puts me on this.. Not to mention, my 6 year old son was recently prescribed 2mg of Intuniv and it turned him into a Zombie.. I dont understand how I'm supposed to deal with the Withdrawal of such a Dependant medication, while having Anxiety issues, and I'm now put on a medication for Children that states 'May cause Drowsiness'.. I'm very scared when it comes to Medication changes and I dont know what to do.... HELP!! Opinions?!?!?
Is there a way to get a 2nd doctor's opinion?  Is this your gp that was prescribing the meds or a pdoc?  If this was your pdoc perhapse your gp can help while you shop for another pdoc?  It doesn't sound like this doc takes your concerns seriously if they aren't answering your questions and concerns about your meds.

For what it's worth, I have a son on Intuniv myself.  I agree that, at least in pediatric patients, the reactions to it and adderall (adderrall) are vastly different.  I know that adderall (adderrall) is a stimulant drug and Intuniv, while used to treat attention disorder in pediatric patients, was originaly designed as a high blood pressure med for adults.

I hope this helps.  I know being a mom and then having anxiety on top of add is a difficult thing.  I have add and ongoing depression/ anxiety myself.
Thank you.. I'm trying to find the best option right now.. I'm just so upset with the integrity of my Psychiatrist.. The way that he and his Nurse treated me was something I would've never imagined!! I'm seeking a new Psychiatrist now........
I hope you find a good Psychiatrist.  I was angry for you just reading your post...

Yikes!  Restless kids....got to go.
I just moved to Largo FL from SC. The idiot shrink I transferred to gave me adderall (adderrall) 10mg and Xanax 2mg as I was on both for two years. Today he said in his Patel accent: you can only have one narcotic, choose one. That was it! That was the whole visit! He claimed FL state law prevents him from prescribing one  narcotic that cancels out another one. So pick one. What a damned quack! And my insurance pays him 110 bucks for this 3 minute visit.  There is truth in the saying that psychiatrists are in their field because they couldnt cut it anywhere else. I've met only ONE who I trust