ADD / ADHD Community
Synaptol??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Synaptol??

My son has been diagnosed with AD/HD and recently I came across a homeopathic medication that comes in a droplet form. I don't believe in giving my son chemicals because I have experienced first hand what that does to a person. many people I know (including my husband and myself, who are clean and sober) that were on ritalin/aterol/dexedrine as kids eventually turned to meth to help with their ongoing "chemical imbalance". I don't want this to happen to my son so I ordered the synaptol because it is non narcotic. Has anyone had experience with this med and is it successful?
  Hey, it's me.  Check out my response in the child behavior forum first.
Let me try and put this nicely.  
   "many people I know (including my husband and myself, who are clean and sober) that were on ritalin/aterol/dexedrine as kids eventually turned to meth to help with their ongoing "chemical imbalance"
   Is BS.  
       ADHD causes people to self medicate.  It happens because people with ADHD did not get the proper treatment along with the medication.  Not your parents fault.  Its not only still common (oh, take a pill and we are good), the science behind ADHD just wasn't that good even 10 years ago.   In fact, there are studies that show kids who have been treated for ADHD (even with meds) self medicate less than kids not being treated.
        Now hear me.  I am not advocating medication.  There is a lot that can be done without it.  But sometimes until the maturity level is high enough for the child/teenager to
to know and cope with ADHD - its necessary.
        You need a serious amount of information.  I gave two excellent sources in my post to you on the other forum.  Take the time to go online and read all of the first one.  If your child really does have ADHD, then you also want to order the book I recommended.
        Now to answer your question - It won't hurt I think to try it.  I say I think because it uses a shotgun approach- and I got tired of googleing the ingredients.  But basically, I think its a waste of your money.  A good healty diet is important.  In the 3+ years I have been writing on this forum, I have never had a parent come back and say -"hey, this really works".  You would think that if the miracle drug was out there, this forum would be covered with its results.  Basically, its a con job (my opinion) by people making money off of people grasping for easy fixes.  And there is no easy fix.  
       So as I said (in some post to you somewhere -I'm getting tired).  You need information.  We are here to help!    Best wishes!
  Just found a really good site that will give you some very useful information.  I think its got more concise behavioral techniques than any I have seen before.  
   Its: http://helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_parenting_strategies.htm
It not only didn't help with my sons's ADHD, but it made it worse!! Definitely would not recommend it at all.  
All the reviews they have posted are a big lie!
   Thank you for posting.  I have always felt that their product was probably just a rip off.
Yes, they are a rip off.  I've tried them all.  As an adult with ADD I recommend taking you're child to a psychiatrist and getting him some kind of treatment.  My parents put me on Ritalin when I was 10 and it worked well for me.  But, when I was 12 they took me off it because they thought that I was "coping" well and could do without it.  I didn't resume treatment for ADD until I was 18.  

Looking back on things, my life would have been a lot easier/better had I been treated with medication during those years.