ADD / ADHD Community
Too late for my 15 yr old son??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Too late for my 15 yr old son??

My son is a sophomore in high school, and has been struggling with his ADHD (and grades) since 7th grade. We got him tested in 6th grade, and his tests came back positive for ADHD (which explains the constant drumming of his fingers, fidgeting in his seat, and tapping his feet). After trying different medication, he entered middle school in 7th grade and did great academically, bringing home all A's and B's!! I was so very happy we had finally found 1) a reason behind his behavior and 2) something to help him control himself. 8th grade was a tad different, not nearly as good grade wise but he wasn't struggling - yet. 9th grade proved to be extremely difficult. He's always had a very tough time taking test and all of his teachers chalked it up to test anxiety like the other 99% of teens (and even some adults). Now my sons confidence level has gone from "yeah I felt pretty good about that test" to "I felt ok, but we all know how it's gonna turn out". His homework, classwork and group work is always great, mostly pulling A's and B's, but no matter how much he studies or feels confident about the material, he comes away with an F, maybe a D if he's lucky. I am unsure of a few things: should I move him to a smaller school setting, a place that has more one on one between teachers and students? Should I think ahout homeschooling/online schooling? I feel like I have waited to long to be as active as I've been the past 6 months, and I would hate to think I've waited to long and not nothing can be done. Help please!
It is never to late! In my opion pulling him away from the school and classmates he is use to may make it worse. (but i dont know your son) You may try some one on one tutor to help prepare for tests. There is also something called an EAP (education adjustment program) that ALL schools have to offer any child of any age with any kind of learning problems and ADHD is a big one on this list. With an EAP this allows students extra help or extra time on test. It gives them some kind of extra help that fits their needs for what they struggle with in school. It is set up through the government. Just meet with the counselor &/or principal and see if this is something you can get for him. I would start with one of these two before pulling him out of his school and placing him somewhere he is not familiar with. I can say some schools may not be so willing to give out an EAP so easily, but don't give up as easily as they are willing to turn you away... if you have one of those schools.
   I agree with cib1984.  However, I would look into a 504 plan for him to give him more time on tests or the ability to take tests in a quieter place.   "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley, has a great section on 504 plans and how to make them.  Its only about 10 bucks on Amazon and you will find many helpful ideas in there.
   Does he have this problem with all his subjects or just some?  High school is a different ball game and sometimes it just takes time to get used to the teachers and the tests (hopefully).  Also, if his meds have not been adjusted for a couple of years, its possible that they are not as effective for him as they once were.
   This is a pretty good link for looking into IEP's and 504's - http://www.additudemag.com/search/keyword/ADHD%20Accommodations,%20504s,%20IEPs.html
   Plus its also got a lot of good ideas for homework help, etc.
   Hope this helps.  Best wishes.