Tourettes, heavy drug use, ADD/ADHD,
Hello all...I have a question...well a few i guess! (I have also posted this on the substance abuse forum)...ok here's my situation...and wondering by chance if anyone might be able to shed some light on this for me...

Ok...My father has Tourettes...and has been a heavy drug user most of his life (Not in recent years now though)...he's told me he's done the hard stuff like heroin, acid (while constructing high story buildings!) and so on. He was a constant marijuana smoker, and i do believe he was smoking it when i was conceived. He also beat my mother while pregnant with me.

Does anyone know or think this would of had an effect on my development? My doctor is pretty sure i have ADD (i'm seeing a specialist in march about it). Also when my father went to get a diagnosis of tourettes with my mum many years ago they were told that it could come out in me or my sister as ADD or ADHD. He refused medication unfortunately which has caused me, my sister and my mother years of verbal abuse (and physical to my mother).

I have done a bit of research myself but if anyone knows anything i'd much appreciate it :)
no it shouldnt cause adhd and add is just the back of your brain is "asleep"
My son too had parents that were doing drugs while pregnant and he suffers from tourettes also. He is ADHD and has tourettes, or tics when he is stressed or tired. He has been on many medications but Strattera seems to help with the tics or blinking he suffers later in the daytime.  Do you find yourself blinking a lot from your medication??
I'm not currently on medication at the moment. I have to wait one month to see a specialist to get a diagnosis.

My own doctor has treated me over the past year and a half or so for depression, opiate dependance and anxiety...he believes that i do actually have ADHD and it has been the underlying disorder.

"stryker0014" I have not heard that adhd is just the back of your brain "asleep". I don't mean to have a go at you but do you know much about this condition? I have done extensive research on this condition and have never come across anything remotley like your description. To my understanding it is a neuropsychiatric condition caused by structural and functional abnormalities in the brain.

The reason i thought it may have something to do with my fathers intake of drugs is how it may of affected my development in the womb...

ah well one more month til i find out...can i keep sane though? *shrugs*