ADD / ADHD Community
Vyvanse causing lethargy?? Help please??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

I am a 41 yr. old ffemale who was put on Vyanse to help with my focus and concentration.I have been on Vyvanse for 1 1/2 months. The original dose wa 30mg. but I didn't see a difference so I was upped to 70mg. 2 weeks ago. The past week I have felt very unmotivated to do anything. I don't even want to talk to my friends, I just feel like being alone all the time. This is partially what I went on the drug to get rid of but it's making it worse.
Has anyone else had a bad reaction to Vyvanse, if so what was it and how did you resolve it? I'm going to ask my doc if the dose it too high. Has anyone else had unwanted side effects from too high of a dose?
Any experience with Vyanse good or bad would be appreciated. Thanks so much for your help, as always!!
Erin
Hi Erin-
I was on generic adderol tablets for six months, and they worked great, however, I felt like I was needing a liitle higher dose.  I was only taking 10mg tabs twice a day.  My doc suggested that i try a new drug called vivanse, that it's in the same family as adderol.  I was hesitant to change meds, but reluctenly, switched to vivanse, 1 30mg capsule once a day.  Wow!  what a mistake that was!!  I had a very bad reaction to it.  It felt like a hallucingenic.  Also made me very tired!!  I thought I would give it a couple of days to see if it woulsd change.  On the 3rd day, I had a complete breakdown.  I almost got in two car accidents, i was crying nonstop, I had to call my aunt to come down to take care of my three kids.  I was very scared.  My psychiatrist didn't return my phone calls, so when my aunt arrived at my house i drove to my family doctor because i was that scared how i was feeling.  He took the vivanse from me and threw them away and gave me a two week prescription for my adderol until i could see my doc.  Finally after a few days, i felt back to normal again.  I will never change medications ever again!!

I would never recommend vivanse to anyone!!
Good luck, i hope this helps!
Thank you, that does help. I saw my doc yesterday and decided to go off of it and on to Adderal extended release. He said Lethargy is a comon side effect of the meds for untreated ADD. I guess I'll take having my thoughts scattered over lethargy any day. I will try this new drug for a week and see if it's any different, otherwise I think I will just go off this type of med alltogether.
Thanks for your information, I appreciate it!!
Erin
I spoke to my doc about the lethargy and he said that what Vyanse and other drugs for ADD are suppose to do if we really have ADD. I begged him to lower the dose so I wasn't as "mellow" and keeping to myself. He cut it down to 50mg and I am feeling much better. I have more motivation to get out and do things that I did on the higher dose.
ADD is a tricky thing because the idea is to calm the person down, I just hated being too calm. I think I found the right balance, I hope anyway!!
I know what you mean!!!
I just switched to Vyvance 50 mg 4 days ago! I am 22 and have been on medications for several years. I have been on Ritilin and Concerta in the past, but had negative reactions to both.  About 3-4 years ago I switched to Adderall (adderrall) and was very happy with that choice.  I started on 20mg of XR and over the years increased to 40mg of XR.  I also had 10mg regular pills (not XR) to take when necessary, ie: on days I would have to stay up late to finish homework, study, or work late etc.  The problem I have with Adderall (adderrall) is over the years I have built up a high tolerance, to the point where I would need to take 40mg XR in the mornings AND anywhere from 10 to 30mg of additional redular adderall (adderrall) (depending per day) My doc wanted me to try Vyvance, because it is supposed to stay in your system for 12 hours.  
Today is just my 4th day but I am feeling the same way!! I am very anti-social, to the point of all I have been doing is sitting on my bed and staring at my computer.  I feel so lethargic and unmoviated to do even the simplest thing, like get up to get a glass of water.  All i want to do is just SIT.  I am also VERY irritable.  My cell phone rang and it made me so mad I chucked it across the room. I don't want to see or talk to anyone.  I have been depressed and crying randomly for no reason.  I am not able to do anything or get anything done, unless it is sitting and zoning out or laying down. Last night I had real bad anxiety and I didn't sleep until 8am (this morning!) I was supposed to work at 11am but I was so exhausted I slept through my alarms!  Luckily, after explaining my situation to my boss, he understands, although now I feel like a crazy person and now I have anxiety about going to work again while on Vyvance because I feel so out of it. Plus, I am frustrated at myself for not being able to do any work or get anything done. I really just want to cry again! I hope I can talk to my doc first thing in the morning.  Maybe I just need to give this medication time, but I really can't see myself going through this everyday. I would so much rather take the ups and downs from Adderall (adderrall) than this!!
I'm a 48-yr old female trying to find the correct treatment for ADD. Vyvanase was prescribed for me as an alternative to Adderall (adderrall) XR, because when that was first prescribed, it didn't last long enough (20 mg) and Vyvanase is supposed to have a much longer, smoother effect. Vyvanasee is supposed to be "exactly the same molecule" as Adderall (adderrall) - after it is ingested and goes through your system (and therefore less likely to be abused). To me, it felt like a completely different drug. I felt like doom was just around the corner the entire time I was using it. Also, while I had more awareness of my "thought threads," I had less control over them - and therefore I was more distracted, not less. So, in my opinion, "exactly same molecule" does not equal "exactly same effect." Since reading a few threads (including yours) here, it sounds like this experience isn't too unusual.

My back-story: I never had any negative side effects with Adderall (adderrall), and wish we'd given it another chance. But my doc said that the fearful, sense-of-doom feeling was a hallmark of Adderall (adderrall) and Vyvanase, even though I never had it during my short stint with Adderall (adderrall).  We started with Methylphenedate (metadate cd) and that's been useless.

I'm going back this week to ask to give Adderall (adderrall) another try. So far, my doc has been good. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!
You summed it up exactly when saying 'doom was just around the corner'.  That exactly what things felt like!!  I called my doc right away and had my Rx switched back to Adderall (adderrall)...  I'm sure Vyvance is helping some people but from what I experienced I cannot even believe this **** is being marketed and fed to children! Did anyone notice the information packet for Vyvance is intended for parents.. ie: "your child will feel this.. your child might never sleep again..".  Maybe adults should not take Vyvance? I Have no idea, but all I know is that if I was 10 and I experienced what I just did with Vyvance it would be so scary it would probably scar me for the rest of my life!  
I'm happy to report I have stopped the Vyvanse and have been put on Adderral non extended release. I take 20 mg in the morning and can skip my noon time dose because I don't need it. I am finally sleeping better and able to start getting out and doing things.
I don't know what it was with that Vyvanse but I'm throwing all the bottles away, they changed my dose 3 times. So it's sad to toss $400 in the garbage but at least I have my mind back and I can still get out of the house now!!
WELL I DONT KNOW WHAT THESE MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE BUT I CAN TELL YOU THAT I HAVE A 7 YR OLD THAT HAS TRIED EVERY KIND OF MED OUT THERE I THINK. 2 WKS AGO SHE GOT PUT ON VYVANCE I CALLED THE DR THIS MORING AND PRETTY WELL TOLD HIM TO STICK IT CAUSE WE WERE GETTING AWFUL RESULTS SHE WAS LASHING OUT HATEFUL AGRESSIVE  AND JUST OUT OF CONTROL, I COULDNT TAKE IT NO MORE SO I TOOK HER OFF THIS MORNING AND WE ARE WAITING TO SEE THE RESULTS. ACTUALLY SHE WAS ON ZOLOFT AND RISPERDALE AND THEY HAVE BEEN REALLY BAD SO WE TOOK HER OFF ALL THE MEDS TODAY. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THESE MEDS MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE IM TRYING SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND BUT ITS HARD JUST NOT KNOWING
I was prescribed Vyvanse 2 days ago, and I am enraged and frustrated by the results.  I am anxious and irritable without medication, and the addition of Vyvanse has sent me over the edge.  At the prescribed 30 milligrams, I feel unfocused, in a cold medicine like fog, unmotivated to do ANYTHING, but worst of all is the extreme rage I feel towards everything.  I literally feel like I'm coming out of my skin.  I'm just sitting here watching the clock waiting for the horror to end.  One comfort is reading posts like the ones written here.  It would appear from other message boards that this medicine is a cure-all:  attention woes, anxiety, and obesity.  I certainly felt like the odd man (woman) out.  If this is supposed to be the "best" medication for ADD, God help us all!
Sounds like the dose may be too high.  Doctors have to kinda guess as to the starting dose and depend on feedback to adjust.  Definitely let your Doctor know what is going on
I was put on 70mg of Vyvanse a few years back. Guess what? My grades went from F's and D's to A's and I tried for about a week to comprehend how to divide by 0. I guess we all have different results on this pill cause it did great for me! Note though, since it is a stimulant it will make your thoughts race but it will also make them more focused. If you are a person with anxiety this is about the worst idea you could ever make for changing medications and shame on the doctor who gives this to you. I was going to try and explain how bad it could be but post #2 got that down just fine. However if you usually don't get too upset or concerned about most things then this pill might be great for you if you just kind of sit around and ponder but without anxiety.
This may be a couple years late but i'm glad you guys posted to this. I feel somber reading this as I sit wide awake waiting for this drug to ware off and the xanax to kick in so I can sleep and call my doctor tommorow. My father has ADD/ADHD and I know I do too. I've been taking his 40mg vyvanse here and there and it made me feel fantastic. Then last week I took one and I felt like how all of you were explaining. I shrugged it off and just thought it was a bad weekend. Well today I was prescribed vyvanse. I've taken my first 50mg and I don't think i'm going to take the rest. I know I should try and see this out and take the prescription, I highly doubt I am going to. Aderol (adderall) seems like it is the correct drug for ADD if given in the right quantities.
I couldnt' take ADHD meds for years because I couldnt' find the right combination.  My psych put me on 10 mg extended release Focalin to take once in the morning and four hours later.  Splitting the the amounts throughout the day has been a Godsend. She stated that too often patients are given too large of dose only once a day.  She also gave me 10 mg of clonzepam (klonopin) to take as needed with my afternoon dose or later on to reduce the rebound affect.   I take it as needed.   Just thought I would share with you.
I am  a 65 year old woman who has taken Adderall (adderrall) for years , for some reason , there is none avaliable anywhere in Indiana or they say  AMERICA  at this time , so the Dr. prescribed me 30 mg of Vyvnase , I've taken it for 2 day's , and i've stayed in my Pajama's for 2 day's, called , talked to a nurse , she said, once it got into my system I'd be fine , I am going back to the Dr.  has anyone else been tired at first tell it rather kicked in  ?
   Interesting, I had read somewhere that it was going to be harder to get adderall (adderrall) due to the meth addicts out there.  Hard to believe it would affect those who really need it.
   V does take longer to get into the system (google it), but you are also on a pretty low dose.  If after another two or three days its not working for you get back to the doc and tell him that.  That always start low (which is a good idea), and wait for patient feedback.
I am currently taking vyvance 30 mg. and have loved it completely! I have been taking it for over three months now. I made straight A's last semester in college and all round just got more out of my days! my family even notices a better me! but recently I have been crashing all day long to the point i literally sleep when ever I have down time... Not even drinking energy drinks all day can make my tired feelings go away.  Ive taken up to five days off the medication to see if anything changes when i start back and still a few hours after taking it i start to crash... I have a doc appointment in the morning to see what might be causing this tired feeling but dont see why three month into it that the vyvance would be the cause... If anyone has any feed back on this type of issue please respond.
    From the posts above and others I have read, it sounds like you are taking too much.   Ask you doc to cut the dose or switch to something like adderall (adderrall) and start working back up to a dose that works for you.   All theses meds do tend to effect people differently and its not unusual to have to do a little trial and error to find what works best for you.
   Oh, there can be some conflicts if you are on any other meds.  Are you taking anything else like anxiety meds for example?