ADD / ADHD Community
Vyvanse withdrawal symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Vyvanse withdrawal symptoms

My 20 year old son recently gradually weaned off 60 mg/day Vyvanse so that he can join the Marines (must be off for 1 year - military rules).  He is having a very rough time.  Extreme fatigue, totally unmotivated, extreme focus issues.  He says he feels like a totally different person off totally off the med.  Appetite is high too but he knows how to control that.  My question is are these symptoms temporary - does it take a while for his body to adjust to being off the med?  He is very confused now, thought he really wanted the Marines but now that he's off the med, not so sure.  He's so confused and depressed. PLEASE HELP! He wants to give Addcare (all natural) a try and see what happens.  Any thoughts, advice?  Thank you!
       Well, the focus issues are one of the major reasons why people with AD/HD take the meds.  So I would expect problems with that to return.  The fatigue is interesting.  Is he having a hard time sleeping at night?  If so that could contribute to the fatigue or is the major reason.   And, I think the unmotivation could be related to the focus issue.  Its pretty hard to get motivated if you can't focus on your goals.   But here is an adult ADD site that has a lot of posts on motivation - maybe he can find something here to help.  Its - http://totallyaddconnect.com/forums/forum/tools-techniques-and-treatments/motivationstaying-on-track/
   As for the ADDcare.  Its really expensive and I doubt that it will help.  But it shouldn't hurt.  Here is an old link to people talking about it - http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62997
    Actually, didn't realize that the marines did not take people using perscription meds for ADHD.  Wonder if all the services are like that or just the marines?
   I would also recommend that he check out this other site for adults with ADD.  I think he will find the link helpful.  The more he learns/understands how to deal with AD/HD, the more successful he will be. The link is -
     http://jeffsaddmind.com/advice-for-the-adult-and-not-so-adult-adhder-12385.htm

Anyway, hope some of this helps.  Best wishes.

Thanks so much for your response.  Correct, all branches of the military will not allow those with ADHD to enlist unless they have been off ALL meds for at least one year.  
I will certainly check out the links you provided.  In fact, I stumbled upon jeffsaddmind.com just the other day and have been in contact with him.  I checked out the link regarding ADDCARE and that's very disheartening.  I should have figured.   I have read from several sources that withdrawal symptoms from Vyvanse can include extreme fatigue.  I'm praying this is temporary and his body needs to re-adjust to life w/o Vyvanse but if I had to guess - it doesn't seem to me that he can function well enough while not on it.  This is all so very frustrating and disheartening.  All of his friends are moving along in college with education goals and plans and he's stuck at a standstill with no idea which way to go.  I try to explain to him that he still young with plenty of time to make decisions and move ahead but he can't seem to get past it.  Thanks for listening!